The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Withnail and I Reunion on BBC Radio 4, May 4, 2008

View previous topic :: View next topic  
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Withnail and I Reunion on BBC Radio 4, May 4, 2008 Reply with quote

Back in October 2007 Paul, Richard E. Grant, and Ralph Brown shared stage space at a ‘Withnail and I’ reunion held at the BFI Southbank. Sue MacGregor, who hosts the BBC Radio 4 Reunion series, was on hand to interview the film's principals.

The interview is finally slated to be broadcast on BBC Radio 4 on May 4, 2008. Here's the blurb from the BBC website:

The Reunion Ep 5/5
Sunday 4 May
11.15am-12.00noon BBC RADIO 4

Sue MacGregor is joined by the cast and director of the 1987 British cult movie Withnail And I in a special edition of The Reunion, recorded in front of an audience at the BFI Southbank.

Richard E Grant (Withnail), Paul McGann (Marwood), Ralph Brown (Danny The Drug Dealer) and writer/director Bruce Robinson are brought together to discuss this cult classic. There is also an extended interview with Uncle Monty, played by Richard Griffiths.

The film centres on two unemployed actors, Withnail and Marwood, living in drunken squalor in a stinking flat in London's Camden Town. They decide to seek refuge from the daily struggle and depressing lack of acting work by repairing to the countryside. Foul weather, lack of food, grumpy farmers, a stray bull and a psychotic poacher exacerbate their misery.

To conclude the current series of The Reunion, the cast and director discuss the tension that existed with the film's producers, Handmade, who nearly pulled the plug because they felt it was not funny. Sue learns how teetotal Richard E Grant prepared to play the alcoholic Withnail, and the secret of getting a chicken to stand on a kitchen table for an entire afternoon is revealed.

Presenter/Sue MacGregor, Producer/Kevin Dawson

BBC Radio 4 Publicity

The program should also be available for a week as a Listen Again feature, if you don't feel like being up at the crack of dawn. Smile
Begonia8

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Estelle! I'll be looking forward to that. Smile

"Come quietly and nobody gets hurt! I've got a large carrot and I'm not afraid to use it!"-The Eighth Doctor
Begonia8

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was excellent! I just got done listening. Lots of annecdotes that I hadn't heard before. I really wish I'd been there last October. I highly recommend listening to it.

"Come quietly and nobody gets hurt! I've got a large carrot and I'm not afraid to use it!"-The Eighth Doctor

Last edited by Begonia8 on Fri May 09, 2008 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catherine wrote:
This was excellent! I just got done listening. Lots of annecdotes that I had heard. I really wish I'd been there last October. I highly recommend listening to it.

I asked over at the Withnail forum how the broadcast Q&A compared with the original, but no one's answered me. Someone previously remarked that he thought it would be hard to edit the recording made at BFI.

I also enjoyed listening to the session and agree that it would have been fab to be there in person. Of course, we may have had a hard time getting tickets.

Here's another link to the BBC Radio 4 Reunion program.

Estelle
Begonia8

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this in one of my older folders. Surprised it's still available! Shocked Smile :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_7030000/newsid_7038500/7038559.stm?bw=nb&mp=wm&news=1&ms3=6&ms_javascript=true&bbcws=2

scribble

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a nice little clip. Thanks for sharing the link, catherine! Smile

Btw, I just checked it and Estelle's last link of the BBC Radio 4 Reunion program above still works. yay!
Pipi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you ladies. I so enjoyed listening to this program, all the lovely stories told by the actors, especially with the British slang.

I always enjoy listening to radio programs. While living in Chicago, I used to listen to the BBC My Word panel radio program during the late 90s. Come to think of it, BBC should make a movie based on these radio programs, with Paul of course. Check it out, see (hear) what I mean.

www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/radio/myword.htm
scribble

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a fantastic idea! Thanks for sharing the link, Pipi Smile
Pipi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, certainly a more realistic approach, and a better idea (for us here), would be a production in the form of a TV series. Imagine, we could have an additional dose of McGannism on a weekly basis. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Films All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: