The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone Going to Gallifrey This Year?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Water Cooler
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wshaffer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Anyone Going to Gallifrey This Year? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm going to be attending my first-ever Gallifrey convention this February, and I was wondering if any of the wonderful folks from the Library here would be attending? I know that Paul won't be there this year, but I know that some of his fans (like me) are also Doctor Who fans in general.

If any of you will be there, I'd love to meet up!
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! I'll be there from the 14th to the 18th and would love to meet you. Smile

Estelle
shipoftheline

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll also be coming down, mostly to hang out with Estelle as I do every year. I'll be making it down there on Saturday most likely.

It'll be lovely to meet you.

Photoshop resources
Mikoto

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanna ... but I have other con commitments. Embarassed

One for:
~ 'Two hearts'
~ 'Thirteen lives'
~ A clock
~ 90s-grade CG
~ Reference to Puccini/Madame Butterfly

Two for:
~ Gratuitous Doctor Who continuity
~ Overtly Messianic imagery
~ Beryllium/atomic clock
wshaffer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shipoftheline wrote:
I'll also be coming down, mostly to hang out with Estelle as I do every year. I'll be making it down there on Saturday most likely.

It'll be lovely to meet you.

Cool - maybe the three of us could get together for a meal or a drink on Saturday?
shipoftheline

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a plan!

Photoshop resources
wshaffer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikoto wrote:
I wanna ... but I have other con commitments. Embarassed

So many cons, so little time...It's always particularly bad on holiday weekends, isn't it? Last Memorial Day weekend, here in the Bay Area, there were 3 cons running simultaneously: a general sci-fi con, a gaming con, and an anime con. A few hardy souls I know attended all three.
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Wendy! Gaby and I missed you at Gally. I'm sure you had a fun time though. Smile Who did you like the best? I enjoyed listening to Daphne Ashbrook, and I loved hearing Rob Shearman read his "Box under the Tree" Doctor Who story.

Estelle
Mikoto

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wshaffer wrote:
So many cons, so little time...

Across the street from Katsucon was apparently a little thingy called ShmooCon ... a hacker con, we were told. So Katsu staff was up their own whatsits posting on their site for people to watch their computers and be paranoid and things.

A few people did indeed attend both of those.

Sadly, Gally is a bit ... erm ... left-coastal to attend both that and Katsu. Farpoint is the same weekend, but I gave up on that a couple years ago. Had a bad experience at Katsu ... switched to Farp ... had a bad experience there and have enjoyed Katsu anew since then. Very Happy

One for:
~ 'Two hearts'
~ 'Thirteen lives'
~ A clock
~ 90s-grade CG
~ Reference to Puccini/Madame Butterfly

Two for:
~ Gratuitous Doctor Who continuity
~ Overtly Messianic imagery
~ Beryllium/atomic clock
wshaffer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emay wrote:
Hiya Wendy! Gaby and I missed you at Gally. I'm sure you had a fun time though. Smile Who did you like the best? I enjoyed listening to Daphne Ashbrook, and I loved hearing Rob Shearman read his "Box under the Tree" Doctor Who story.

Estelle

Hi Estelle! Sorry I missed you guys! (I need to be better organized for my next con. Though it was surprising the number of people that I knew from online that I did manage to cross paths with, considering that in many cases, I didn't know their real names or what they looked like!)

Apparently we were in the same room at least once - I also really liked Rob Shearman's reading. I missed the Daphne Ashbrook interview, but enjoyed Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Aldred's interviews. Did you catch the "Just a Minute" game during the masquerade? That was quite hilarious!

Also, I don't know if you caught the Big Finish panel, but Jason Haig-Ellery confirmed that there will be another season of 8th Doctor audios after the current one. (Not that I thought there was much reason to fear that there wouldn't be, but it's always nice to get confirmation.)
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wshaffer wrote:
Hi Estelle! Sorry I missed you guys! (I need to be better organized for my next con. Though it was surprising the number of people that I knew from online that I did manage to cross paths with, considering that in many cases, I didn't know their real names or what they looked like!)

Apparently we were in the same room at least once - I also really liked Rob Shearman's reading. I missed the Daphne Ashbrook interview, but enjoyed Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Aldred's interviews. Did you catch the "Just a Minute" game during the masquerade? That was quite hilarious!

Also, I don't know if you caught the Big Finish panel, but Jason Haig-Ellery confirmed that there will be another season of 8th Doctor audios after the current one. (Not that I thought there was much reason to fear that there wouldn't be, but it's always nice to get confirmation.)

Did you attend the LJ meet-up? Oh, we were also in the same room for the Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Aldred interviews. We didn't attend the masquerade, although I did glimpse some fab costumes as we headed off to dinner. I left on Sunday to visit my sister-in-law and during the late afternoon drove to Gaby's house.

I'm sorry to have missed the Big Finish panel on Sunday. I've very happy that there will be a third season of Eighth Doc/Lucie Miller audios (or am I presuming too much?). I did attend the Big Finish Benny panel on Saturday and learned that the book telling the inside story of the Benny audios is being held up for various copyright clarifications.

So, this year's con had the largest attendance ever! Somehow, it didn't seem so big, probably because lots of space was allotted for the con.

Estelle
Frigate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any hint as to whether Paul will be coming to another Gally con any time soon? Or any American con for that matter? Hhhmm?
Tony: "Neither does 'Tony'."

Navy NCIS Naval Criminal Investigative Service 2003
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frigate wrote:
Any hint as to whether Paul will be coming to another Gally con any time soon? Or any American con for that matter? Hhhmm?

OK, I asked Big Finish's Jason Haigh-Ellery if Paul might be showing up in 2009, since he'd said once upon a time that he wanted to wait five years before attending another con in the US (never mind that when I asked him at Poppies when he'd attend another American con, he pointedly said he'd do so when he was invited). JHE said he was thinking about asking Gene Smith, the ChicagoTARDIS organizer, about having Paul as a guest. When I commented that the CT and Gally organizers seemed to prefer Sylvester McCoy or Peter Davison or Colin Baker over Paul, Jason remarked that Paul was very busy and often unavailable--I refrained from asking doing what?--LOL! He added that Paul doesn't like to commit far in advance for these cons either and does the ones in England more or less on the spur of the moment.

So, a definite maybe. You might have better luck heading to the UK, if you can arrange it.

Estelle
wshaffer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't make it to the LJ meetup - I forget what I was doing at the time. There was so much to do at Gally!

I did write up my notes from the Big Finish panel in relatively excruciating detail over at my LJ. Just doing my part to plug BF.

It sounds like what we need to do to get Paul at more American conventions is to make sure he gets lots of work in the States...work that somehow leaves him plenty of free time to decide to pop over to the odd con on the spur of the moment. Wink
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wshaffer wrote:
I didn't make it to the LJ meetup - I forget what I was doing at the time. There was so much to do at Gally!

I did write up my notes from the Big Finish panel in relatively excruciating detail over at my LJ. Just doing my part to plug BF.

It sounds like what we need to do to get Paul at more American conventions is to make sure he gets lots of work in the States...work that somehow leaves him plenty of free time to decide to pop over to the odd con on the spur of the moment. Wink

I didn't attend the LJ meeting either. I wanted to listen to the live commentary for Human Nature and Family of Blood but didn't want to do it standing all the way in the back of a room overflowing with people (the same one in which Rob had read his story).

Would you mind reposting your notes about the Big Finish panel, say in the audio section? I'd enjoy reading them, since I missed that discussion.

Getting Paul more work in the US would be lovely but not likely to happen, at least based on past experience. But one can hope. Smile

Estelle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Water Cooler All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: