The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shyly introducing myself...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laura

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Shyly introducing myself... Reply with quote

Hi everyone, my name is Laura, I'm 39 and live in Rome, Italy, so that makes me an Italian lady... Wink

I literally stumbled into this beautiful website and it made my day because I managed to get plenty of information (and pics Mr. Green) about the lovely and talented Mr. McGann. Hence I decided to join this little community Very Happy

I mostly know Paul from his work on Hornblower and a little bit from Queen of The Damned. I don't think the eight Dr.Who movie was ever broadcasted over here.. I cannot even find it on dvd.. Confused
I've only recently watched it and I loved his performance, though the movie.. well, it could have been better.. but watching it 10 years later might do that Rolling Eyes

Ironically, I did not entirely like QOTD when it came out.. but I was stunned by the performance of that lovely actor what's-his-name playing the Talbot character... because, it is true that in the Anne Rice's book the character is about 60 years old.. but Paul's performance had an edge, a longing, almost an infinite sadness that instantly make you forget that this guy is supposed to be older.

In November, for my latest birthday, my niece gave me the greatest immaginable gift: the Hornblower complete serie dvd and I've been finally able to watch the whole serie without having to chase the episodes re-run all over the tv channels at oddest times Evil or Very Mad

Unfortunately, living in Italy, I will probably not be able to post that many news about Paul and I'll be more lurking than posting Embarassed

Nothing else come to my mind now... so.. ciao for now Smile
Laura
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Shyly introducing myself... Reply with quote

Welcome, Laura, and thank you very much for joining!!

Laura wrote:
...I managed to get plenty of information (and pics Mr. Green) about the lovely and talented Mr. McGann.

I'll be reposting more screencaps and photos.

Quote:
I mostly know Paul from his work on Hornblower and a little bit from Queen of The Damned. I don't think the eight Dr.Who movie was ever broadcasted over here.. I cannot even find it on dvd.. Confused

I would love to see more Hornblower films with Mr. Bush, of course. An auction of Hornblower-related props was held in October of this year, and lots of goodies went to fans (see http://www.horatians.org/forum/index.php?topic=7964.0). You can find the Doctor Who TV Movie at amazon.co.uk in region 2 format. I first saw this film four years after it aired in the US. I don't recall it being advertised in my local newspaper.

Quote:
I've only recently watched it and I loved his performance, though the movie.. well, it could have been better.. but watching it 10 years later might do that Rolling Eyes

Paul has reprised his role as the Doctor courtesy of Big Finish for a series of audio adventures (see http://www.bigfinish.com/index.asp?function=DISPLAYCAT&catid=1).

Quote:
Unfortunately, living in Italy, I will probably not be able to post that many news about Paul and I'll be more lurking than posting Embarassed

Thank you for stopping by!! Smile

Estelle
Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Laura - good to have you join us!

*Waves from England* Very Happy
Akka

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI and welcome from me, too, Laura!
I was in Italy about 25 years ago, at the Lago di Garda . It was our Wedding trip. We also took a trip to Genova and of course to Venezia! Awww, wonderful region there. And the food....Gnocci with polpa tomato....ähhm.. Embarassed
To go to Roma is a wish from me, too,...one day! Cool
wshaffer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Shyly introducing myself... Reply with quote

Laura wrote:
Hi everyone, my name is Laura, I'm 39 and live in Rome, Italy, so that makes me an Italian lady... Wink

I literally stumbled into this beautiful website and it made my day because I managed to get plenty of information (and pics Mr. Green) about the lovely and talented Mr. McGann. Hence I decided to join this little community Very Happy

Welcome, Laura! It's great that we have such an international community here - I suppose it just shows that Paul's appeal is universal!

Rome sounds like such a beautiful city - I hope to visit some day.
Quote:

Well, I watched the Doctor Who movie on the night it was first broadcast, and I had very much the same reaction - wonderful performance from Paul, the rest of the movie...not so great. I was still terribly disappointed when it wasn't picked up as a TV series. As Estelle pointed out, Paul has continued to play the 8th Doctor in a series of audio plays made by Big Finish productions. It was discovering these audio plays that reminded me what a wonderful actor Paul is.

I still haven't seen Queen of the Damned. I suppose I really ought to rent the DVD.

Again, welcome!
shipoftheline

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to our corner of the world Laura.

Photoshop resources
Down East

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, welcome Laura.

I think it's great that Paul has such an international appeal.

ROMA!!! Maybe some day....

I was trying to persuade the powers that be to cast Paul in the HBO Rome series, but alas, the series only went for two seasons. Crying or Very sad

I'd like to see Paul play the character "Rossi" in the vampire novel "The Historian, by Elizabeth Kostova. Sort of David Talbot like.

Come visit when you can.
Rollyb

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome Laura!!! Very Happy

I hope you'll enjoy our little corner of the Paul McGann world.

I've been to Rome a couple of times and I hope to go back again someday. There is so much to see and enjoy.

Rollande Cool
Laura

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ladies,
yes, Rome is a beautiful city, but when you live in a place sometimes you just forget that your hometown is a such a special place Embarassed
Looks like I'm the only Italian in here, so I'll have the honour to be the Paul McGann Italian Ambassador.. Laughing .. or at least the Paul McGann Roman Ambassador Very Happy

Paul is definitely a talented actor, since I do a little bit of theatre acting myself - but that'a a hobby, not a job Wink - I'd be curious to see him on stage.

If you ever come over here, please let me know. It would be nice to meet and have an ice-cream or a pizza and talk all things Paul !! Very Happy
Frigate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are certainly becoming quite international! Welcome, and might I add you hale from my favorite city in the world! What a fabulous place to soak up the history (sigh!). And I'm a Bushbabe too!
Tony: "Neither does 'Tony'."

Navy NCIS Naval Criminal Investigative Service 2003
Laura

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Frigate .... yes Rome is great...... but I prefer your location better... Lt. Bush's cabin... Laughing .. Bushbabe for sure...... what else ??!! Bush rulz Razz
Khalaris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I'd like to go to Rome sometime. I'm doing an Italian course (beginners). Love the language and it's easy for me to learn, because honestly, after 9 years of English, 7 French and 2 years of Spanish, what do you expext? Wink
Frigate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laura wrote:
Thanks Frigate .... yes Rome is great...... but I prefer your location better... Lt. Bush's cabin... Laughing .. Bushbabe for sure...... what else ??!! Bush rulz Razz

You said it! My actual, boring location is Kentucky in the U.S., but hey, a girl can dream! I could be his cabin girl who sorts his stocks - and stuff. Very Happy
Tony: "Neither does 'Tony'."

Navy NCIS Naval Criminal Investigative Service 2003
Laura

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khalaris wrote:
Oh I'd like to go to Rome sometime. I'm doing an Italian course (beginners). Love the language and it's easy for me to learn, because honestly, after 9 years of English, 7 French and 2 years of Spanish, what do you expext? Wink

Great !! Well, you're welcome to practice some Italian with me any time Very Happy

Frigate wrote:
You said it! My actual, boring location is Kentucky in the U.S., but hey, a girl can dream! I could be his cabin girl who sorts his stocks - and stuff.
.. Shocked ..... well, I'd settle for any job "on deck".. fresh air, a view over the sea, the wind within the hair.... I'd been thrown overboard otherwise.. I don't particularly like sorting out other people's things.. Laughing ... I don't know Lt. Bush that well to make an exception for him.. yet Cool
Teri

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Laura--welcome to the library! Smile

The only place I've been in Italy is Lake Como, which was loverly! And it's true what they say about those Italian men Twisted Evil ... (Woah! Laughing )
I'd love to see Rome someday, too, must be just a gorgeous place to live. Were you born and raised there?

Enjoy the library and all the 'Paulness'--Estelle does a great job of keeping it up to the minute. Smile

Teri
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Introductions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: