The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Could Have Been - Sharpe
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Screen caps from the 1990s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: What Could Have Been - Sharpe Reply with quote

After having seen Sean Bean play this role fourteen times, it's hard to picture Paul playing it. But here's proof that he did!

Before the football, before the banged up knee and the surgery and the lawsuit...

Sharpe!

I remember seeing Sean Bean in this exact position, LOL!

The Bridge at "Talavera" before they blew it up!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mango

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAWR!! Doesn't he suit the uniform? I remember when I first 'discovered' Paul and was shocked when I found out that he was the original Sharpe - I couldn't believe it as I love the series & couldn't help wondering what may have happened had he not been replaced...though would he still have been chosen to portray Bush and could his career taken another direction? Hmmm...come to think of it would those of us who have met him still have had that chance??

I think he was right to sue to be honest - 5 weeks isn't going to allow a broken leg to heal is it??

Linz
xxx

Avatar courtesy of Desdemona Smile
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a b&w pic of Paul as Sharpe:

It sounds strange that he remained in the Crimea for nine weeks following his knee injury. He must have been in horrible pain.

Estelle
Down East

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Salkey's Making of Sharpe videos was an eye-opener about the conditions there. Whew! They had no water at their hotel, and one of the fellows was fired because he complained about the water. They had to haul water and it came in this rusty old beat up truck. The series came off well on screen.

Anyway, it must have been pretty bad.

Last edited by Down East on Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Grace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did they replace Theresa? (I don't know much about Sharpe, having only seen a few episodes).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got these from dreamybritactor's LiveJournal, who in turn, got them off a Jason Salkey website...I only uploaded them to my photobucket account Wink I've saved them since these pre-production photos seem to be quite 'rare'.

Enjoy!! Very Happy

Linz Mr. Green
xxx
Desdemona

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I beleive the lady in black behind Paul and Jason is the lovely Annie Milner-McGann.

Wink
"Bush put both arms round Hornblower's shoulders and walked with dragging feet... Hornblower was the best man in the world and Bush could announce it by singing 'For He's a Jolly Good Fellow' while lurching along the alleyway. " - Lt. Hornblower
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Desdemona

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Credit for those two above pictures from Jason Salkey's site: Harris Collection.

We got Jason's permission to post them, but we just needed to ensure the proper credit to honor his work.

Here's Jason's email to me after I checked with him about posting the pics:

No problems with reproduction on the McGann site, just as long as you credit the 'Harris Collection's.

I suppose eventually I could write a little something about my time with Paul on Sharpe.

All the best
Jason

Wouldn't it be great if he did?

Dez
"Bush put both arms round Hornblower's shoulders and walked with dragging feet... Hornblower was the best man in the world and Bush could announce it by singing 'For He's a Jolly Good Fellow' while lurching along the alleyway. " - Lt. Hornblower
Down East

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you SOOOOO much for getting Jason's permission.

You're a STAR! And Jason's a STAR!

He's been so forthcoming to McGann fans who have written him.

Thank you, Thank you.

I sure hope one of these days he goes back and documents the "Sharpe McGann Era!"

It would be nice to see Jason and Paul work on something together in the future too. They were both in "Fairytale" and it would wonderful to see them back together.
Desdemona

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pleasure. Wink
Desdemona

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grace wrote:
Why did they replace Theresa? (I don't know much about Sharpe, having only seen a few episodes).

Casting -- plain and simple. When Paul went, the actress playing Teresa had to go as well. When you cast "couples" like that, casting directors look for things like physical matches (i.e. height, size, do they look good together) and acting matches (is there chemistry, do they work well off each other?) So, that actress was Paul's match as Teresa, and maybe she didn't work well with Sean, maybe she wasn't tall enough, etc. The actress they ultimately hired as Teresa, I think, was perfect!
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday morning I sent Jason a follow-up e-mail after Jenn said she had written him to ask for permission to post his photos of Paul. He also e-mailed me back and said, "No probs!" And when I came home from work last night, I found a nice packet of his DVDs about the making of Sharpe.

Estelle
Desdemona

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, awesome Estelle! Let us know how they are!

Jason was so sweet about the whole thing -- I'm very glad we asked him. Thanks, Down East, for that reminder to be respectful of others' property. I don't think anyone was disrespectful this time around, but it never hurts to get the blessing of the person posting them -- especially if they are original photos and are copyrightable. Things like screencaps, while they take a lot of work, are not copyrightable.

Dez
Down East

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen the first Harris video diary, which was a hoot, and an eye opener, but not the following ones yet.

When my budget can swing it someday....

And yes, most know screen caps are not copyrightable by the capper but it's nice to give credit for all the time they spent making them. I always appreciate seeing the different shots (a different eye) that people use...and say to myself, hey, I didn't see that when I was capping, that was a good shot, or a unique view I hadn't noticed before!

Jason is so nice, he's such a sweetie. He answered many of the questions I had about Paul. Glad you guys got to correspond with him. He's very supportive of Paul's work as an actor, and as a person.
Desdemona

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down East wrote:
And yes, most know screen caps are not copyrightable by the capper but it's nice to give credit for all the time they spent making them. I always appreciate seeing the different shots (a different eye) that people use...and say to myself, hey, I didn't see that when I was capping, that was a good shot, or a unique view I hadn't noticed before!

Oh, and I totally agree with that, having just learned how to do screencapping myself (OMG it's addicting!) I was only trying to point out why it's important to credit original work, i.e. photos and using screencaps as a contrast. Yes, credit on screencaps is always appreciated (trust me I know), but can't be argued to be legally required. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Screen caps from the 1990s All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: