The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Check out Paul on myspace.com
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Check out Paul on myspace.com Reply with quote

at http://www.myspace.com/paulmcgann (ah, the fruits of googling)

I wonder if real Paul knows about faux-Paul at LiveJournal. Laughing
miss silly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Estelle for posting this.

I was wondering, so maybe someone can explain a bit about this.
What is the difference between this and a live journal? I found that complicated enough to find my way there. And doesn't it take al lot of time to be on line there and in LJ and in the library?
The internet still has many secrets for me Crying or Very sad

Sylvia
NimaGraven

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually find both in general tend to be where there's loads of arguing and general emo crap... Oh, not to forget where people post loads of weird little smileys.. If it's one thing that starts to annoy me it's stuff like MSN where people have "OK" as a smiley instead of just a word... Ahem. Sorry. Random ranting! Maybe I'm just allergic to glitter and fun Wink.

No offence to those that don't post that rubbish, but I get a little tired of reading random blog #18566984 and being about their failed love life and how they'll hang themselves if they don't get with said person Razz. Please post something happy bloggers! Very Happy

Fortunately, I'm -very- picky at who sees my LJ and who I add to my friends Smile.

So nope! In my eyes, no difference Razz. Besides, I paid for my LJ and edited to make it look a bit more myspacey (pics and the like...) so they're probably really are just the same in the end.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miss silly wrote:
I was wondering, so maybe someone can explain a bit about this. What is the difference between this and a live journal? I found that complicated enough to find my way there. And doesn't it take al lot of time to be on line there and in LJ and in the library?

NimaGraven is correct in saying there's essentially no difference between myspace and LiveJournal, since both are places to post reflections and to chitchat with friends. And, yes, one can spend lots of time tending to blogs and visiting websites like the Library.

I learned about LJ when I attended Gallifrey 2004 and later got an account which I've used mainly to post in other people's journals. My kiddos told me about myspace, and three of them have profiles there. I've enjoyed myspace as a low-key way to keep in touch with their friends and my two nieces in England, and I've found some new music in that venue.

Some movies have myspace sites, and Kevin Smith of Clerks and Dogma fame boasts 95,000+ friends (including me, heehee) with another 10,000 waiting to be approved. Paul doesn't seem to be into la vida blogga, while his brother Joe is.

Estelle
NimaGraven

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like MySpace. It seems too cluttered :/.

I like Livejournal, although ever since it got taken over it's sorta gone down the pan as well :/.

But yeah, essentially, they are the same.

God, I'm in a picky mood aren't I? Razz
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Saphira

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NimaGraven wrote:
I don't like MySpace. It seems too cluttered :/.

I agree. And I think it's more dangerous for kids, who tend to post their pictures and everything about themselves, because as far as I can tell, there's no way to control who can access that information.

Quote:
I like Livejournal, although ever since it got taken over it's sorta gone down the pan as well :/.

Do you think so? I was just thinking the other day that all the dire predictions when SixApart took over appear to have largely not happened. The only thing I can think of that even comes close are the ads if you don't want to pay for your account, but they don't require that, so...seems like no big deal to me.
NimaGraven

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It goes beyond that. They're pretty anal over closing down/getting rid of journal entries.

There's entire communities based on it. They censor LJ terribly (Sometimes doing good things, sometimes doing some really bad things) and that's what my reference was to.

I don't mind the ads though, but I pay so it's no big deal Smile.
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saphira wrote:
And I think it's more dangerous for kids, who tend to post their pictures and everything about themselves, because as far as I can tell, there's no way to control who can access that information.

Profiles can be set to private, so that only friends can see them. The local Nashville newspaper has run a couple of stories about hoary basketball and football coaches checking up on their players on myspace to make sure they haven't posted objectionable stuff like drunken fratboy pictures.

My three younger sons are more into Facebook which is another social network limited to members with a university e-mail account. People can only see profiles of students at their respective schools. Stephen, however, says he can find more of his friends on myspace though.

Quote:
The only thing I can think of that even comes close are the ads if you don't want to pay for your account, but they don't require that, so...seems like no big deal to me.

I didn't realize LiveJournal was under new management (myspace is owned by media mogul Rupert Murdoch). The LJ free account sites I visit like libraryrefugees or pmgsdiary look the same as they always have.

Estelle
Saphira

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NimaGraven wrote:
It goes beyond that. They're pretty anal over closing down/getting rid of journal entries.

Are we talking about LJ or Myspace here?

Quote:
There's entire communities based on it. They censor LJ terribly (Sometimes doing good things, sometimes doing some really bad things) and that's what my reference was to.

Entire communities based on censoring?? I've never come across one, so I'm a bit perplexed.

emay wrote:
I didn't realize LiveJournal was under new management (myspace is owned by media mogul Rupert Murdoch).

Well, there's another reason to dislike Myspace! LJ was bought by SixApart (who are responsible for Movable Type/Typepad) about a year and a half ago (January 2005). Honestly, if nobody'd told you, I don't think you'd have noticed. Some of their newer features are things they've adapted from SixApart's products, but otherwise? Same old LJ, far's I'm concerned.
NimaGraven

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking of Livejournal.

http://www.petitiononline.com/ljabuse/petition.html
http://ljabuse.blogspot.com/
http://community.livejournal.com/abuse_lj_abuse/
Members: 472 and Watched by: 388 so they do indeed exist Wink.

Smile

Having dealt with these guys personally I can vouch that what they're saying is true (Especially after being spoken to like a piece of muck over a very politely put question).
Rollyb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wonder if real Paul knows about faux-Paul at LiveJournal.

Looks like he hasn't been around lately.......I wonder if the real Paul found about about this.....Come to think of it, I haven't seen the faux- Mark around either...... Laughing Laughing
Rollande Cool
Saphira

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NimaGraven wrote:
Members: 472 and Watched by: 388 so they do indeed exist Wink.

Ahh, see, I thought you were talking about communities that existed for the purpose of censoring somehow. That makes much more sense!

I had no idea all this stuff was going on! Granted, I prefer my drama to be the theatrical variety, so I might not have paid that much attention, but it does sound like it's a bit out of control! I don't know that it's widely-known, though, unless you know someone who's encountered it (at least, this is the first I've heard).

The worst I've ever had with LJ was trying to get a support issue resolved--their CS folks do talk to everyone like they're morons, which I don't appreciate, especially since I've done tech support myself! If I'd addressed users that way, I'd have been sacked!
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NimaGraven wrote:
I was talking of Livejournal.

http://www.petitiononline.com/ljabuse/petition.html
http://ljabuse.blogspot.com/
http://community.livejournal.com/abuse_lj_abuse/

Very weird tales indeed. I never knew such went on at LJ either.

Estelle
NimaGraven

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, I can tell you the story of myself.

Someone who I didn't particularly get on so well with decided that because I'd upset them they would post something rather bad about me and my family.

The thing was people read his journal that knew me.. And they wrote my first name.. And then proceeded to talk about my mother and her medical history.

When I reported it to LJ and explained very politely that the guy had mutual friends who would read this and know that he only knows one person by the name of Sarah I got a response saying that there was nothing personal posted and they couldn't force the guy to remove the entry. Apparently you have to say someone's entire name.. Though my point was the mutual friends knew damn well which person they were talking about and now they also knew my mother's medical history which IS incredibly personal, but the guy in question who dealt with me was having none of this and was incredibly rude about it when I was actually quite distraught..

And thus the entry remained.

To make it worse, the same guy had written in his Info about his ex-girlfriend. He wrote her first name again and then followed it up with something like "If I had the chance I would kill her." Not exactly very nice behaviour but LJ decided that because he had only posted her first name, there was no reason to remove it, despite his rather threatening behaviour.

It's when you read stories like that, you realise that somewhere the TOS is slightly messed up, especially when you read some of the stories on those blogs. Something needs to be altered.. So I guess it's just a warning, be careful on what you post Very Happy. I've often thought about just getting my own server and putting my own blog on it. It'd probably cost less than LJ and you don't have to worry about something really weird happening from the mods.. :/
Begonia8

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarah, that's awful. It's just sad, the way the Golden Rule seems
to mean nothing to some people. I don't blame you for wanting to
get your own server. For me, the LJ has, overall, got pretty empty
lately. It just doesn't seem to have the magic it did last winter and
spring. I'm still thinking of quitting.

On a somewhat brighter LJ note: Rollande, pmgsdiary clocked in late
last night. And I thought poison was a woman's weapon.

Catherine xx

"Come quietly and nobody gets hurt! I've got a large carrot and I'm not afraid to use it!"-The Eighth Doctor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Paul Says All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: