The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A few photos from "The Lost Years"!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Miscellaneous photos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: A few photos from "The Lost Years"! Reply with quote

Hi Everyone

Whilst we are waiting for Michelle to come out of the loft with all her McGann goodies, here are a few pics from "The Lost Years" to wet your appetites!

The one of Paul and Mark on stage was taken at the Liverpool Beatles Convention in 1986. Being a Beatles/Lennon fan (no, not the same one that introduced Michelle to Mark) I had met Mark at the 1985 Convention but this was my first sighting of Paul!

The next two were taken from the second "Meet The McGanns" event that was held in March 1988.

Stephen was unable to attend the day time meeting but fan club members were treated to a filming of the comedy "Help!" that he was starring in that evening and met him and the rest of the cast afterwards.

Hope you have enjoyed these - there are plenty more to come Smile

HAPPY MEMORIES - now over to you Michelle! Cool

Sam

P.S. Not sure why the pics have come out different sizes - any ideas anyone?

Last edited by Sam on Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rollyb

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhh.....Thanks for posting these Sam!!

It's great to see some of these "lost years" photos of the boys...Keep 'em coming because most of us have never seen these before!!
Being such a talented bunch of actors and singers from Liverpool, I'm sure they've probably been compared to Beatles a few times(especially in their younger days).
Rollande Cool
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Sam, thank you so, so much!! Your pictures are lovely. Regarding the sizes, were the photos of such different sizes when you scanned them in?

It's pretty amazing seeing Paul and his brothers at a Beatles convention, well especially Paul who declined attending Doctor Who conventions for so many years.

Thank you again!!

Estelle

Last edited by emay on Tue May 30, 2006 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Akka

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jepp, Sam, these pics are absolutely great! Such a young Paul..... drool Thanks for sharing! Very Happy
Teri

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my Bob, how fun are these?? Very Happy And these are just the appetizers?? Surprised Thank you so much for posting these, Sam!

So this is right around Monocled and Withnail--I love it. I'm really loving the small pic, fourth down--he's still wearing his long Marwood locks over his forehead! (Or he could be growing it out for the role--although it seems a little late, chronologically speaking. Confused )

Wow, I never new the bros were that enthralled with the Beatles. I new they had an interest, but wouldn't have pictured them at a Beatles con--sweet, especially with mom and Claire in tow. Smile

So was 'Meet the McGanns' just an autograph signing at a hotel or something? Or was there more to it than that--like question and answer panels?

"Help!" wasn't a Beatle related comedy film that Stephen did, was it?

This is the coolest--bring it on, ladies, you have a very captive audience! Very Happy
Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So was 'Meet the McGanns' just an autograph signing at a hotel or something? Or was there more to it than that--like question and answer panels?

It was a get together for McGann fans and the boys would basically sign, have pictures, tell stories - particularly about each other! - and just get to know everyone. Sam and I were lucky in that when we first started going to see them they were just starting out so were still very young, appreciative of their fans (although they still are to this day), and didn't have sucha big fan base as they do now (although the fan club had over 300 registered members at one point.) It became harder as more work came in for them to be able to get together as a family, let alone with all the fans.

Here's a photo of when I first met Stephen in Oxford January 1987

How young is he? and so lovely. In the 19 years since this was taken Stephen has aged better than me!

A little story about Stephen.... when he was in Blood Brothers Sam and I had gone to see him just before christmas - 23rd December 1988. We were chatting, having photos etc, then as Stephen was about to leave to head back to Liverpool - a good few hours driving - we realised Sam's bag had been stolen. Stephen immediately said he'd take us back to our hotel and proceeded to drive us across London, see that we were safe and gave Sam advice about who to contact, before he left at about 11.30pm. A genuinely nice guy, as I have found all of the brothers to be.

Michelle
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelle wrote:
It was a get together for McGann fans and the boys would basically sign, have pictures, tell stories - particularly about each other! - and just get to know everyone.

I wonder if they would ever attend another such fan get-together just for old times sake, especially if some of the original fanclub members arranged the event. Say, who did set up those other McGanned meetings you mentioned?

Quote:
...(although the fan club had over 300 registered members at one point.)...

That's many more than the PMEB, I think.

Thank you for posting the cute picture of you and Stephen and for the accompanying story. Smile

Do members of the original fanclub still get together to attend McGann plays? I'm thinking of Joe's play in Chichester, Stephen in Footloose, and Paul in Sabina, Little Black Book, Mourning Becomes Electra, and The Gigli Concert (as well as his couple performances with the Matinee Idles during the Bristol Silents Slapstick Festivals.).

A couple of weeks before I left on my October trip to the UK, I e-mailed Paul via his agent and mentioned that some of us were getting together for a Horatio Hornblower con in Portsmouth and were planning attend Tom, Dick, and Harry on Friday October 28th and wouldn't mind seeing him if he happened to turn up. I wonder if he came on the 27th because of my post (this scenario likely represents extreme wishful thinking on my part) or because he was planning to go that day anyway. It's still very cool that he met you and Sam there. Smile

Estelle
Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teri asked about 'Help!'

It was a comedy series, set in Liverpool - the only Beatle relation was the title and soundtrack.

Not many of the fans get together - except Sam and I! We met at the 1988 Beatles convention - although we had both attended several events (Beatle and McGann) at the same time, we never really spoke til then. However we have been great friends since and like to meet up, often at short notice, to see the boys (and each other!)

And here are some photos, first more from 1986 convention

And finally (for now) the photo of all four brothers, along with sister Clare, singing at a charity concert in London on 13th December 1987. Quality isn't great as we weren't supposed to take photos - although the boys were doing it for charity and all had a copy of this afterwards!

Enjoy!

Michelle

Last edited by Visitor on Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love all the pictures, Michelle!! Thank you very, very much for posting them. Smile

Estelle
Begonia8

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww! These are lovely! It's so interesting and
fun to see the early days! I look forward to any
more photos, memories, and anything else you've
got of them!

Thanks Michelle! Very Happy
Catherine
Teri

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acid-wash Paul!! Fantastic. I'm getting such a kick out of these--thank you Michelle! Smile

Just look at our boy rockin' out, getting his groove on! Surprised He's really at home making music, you can definitely see that in these.
Look how 'zen' he looks in the one with his eyes closed... I really like that one.

He looks great with the acoustic guitar, too--'hand shots' on the guitar! *SIGH*
Do you mind if I nab a few of these, Michelle and Sam??

Michelle--what's he saying to you in his sig, btw? 'What a paser!'? Shocked
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teri wrote:
He looks great with the acoustic guitar, too--'hand shots' on the guitar! *SIGH*

So, Carolyn's "Romanza" isn't that far off the mark:

Quote:
Michelle--what's he saying to you in his sig, btw? 'What a paser!'? Shocked

I think he wrote, "What a poser!" What a little teaser. Smile

Estelle
Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Paul did write 'what a poser'

I'd basically followed him around all weekend asking for photos, signings etc (hey, I was 18, what can I say?) and it turned into a bit of a laugh with him. He then started asking for my autograph, taking pictures of me etc - then my favourite photo....

He walked onto stage, picked up the microphone and said "Is that you Michelle..." It made my weekend!

Feel I need to share these aswell.....

okay, ignoring my outfit Embarassed this was again a 'chance' meeting - I'd gone to see Mark in 'Up On The Roof' and was waiting for him to come out when who should turn up.....

Meet the McGanns event and a little hand holding with Paul - always a good thing......

Last edited by Visitor on Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelle wrote:
I'd basically followed him around all weekend asking for photos, signings etc (hey, I was 18, what can I say?) and it turned into a bit of a laugh with him. He then started asking for my autograph, taking pictures of me etc - ...

Cool!! At ChicagoTARDIS 2004 Paul brought out his camera and took pictures of the audience for what he called his travel journal. Here's a pic PMEBer Judi Grant took of him:

And at the Ascension con in Cardiff last November, he started off his Q&A session by using his camera phone to take a picture of the audience to send to his son who didn't believe where his dad was. It's interesting to know that Paul's been clowning around for a long time. Smile

Quote:
...then my favourite photo....
He walked onto stage, picked up the microphone and said "Is that you Michelle..." It made my weekend!

Wonderful!!

Quote:
Feel I need to share these aswell.....

These are all great!! By the way, who organized the 'Meeting the McGanns' event?

Thank you again for all these fun pictures and remembrances. Smile

Estelle

Last edited by emay on Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meet the McGanns events were run, as was the fan club, by a lady called Hazel Broadhouse. I lost touch with her some years ago.

There was a group of us who Mark used to call 'his band' and we often turned up together at shows etc.

I was incredibly fortunate - I lived in London for 2 years. When I moved there Mark was in 'Up on the Roof', and was my lifeline. I was incredibly homesick, and used to go and see him a couple of times a week, and he persuaded me life would get better. It did. During my 2 years, Paul did 'Lie of the Mind' at the royal court, Mark did 'Don Giovanni', Stephen did Blood Brothers'. Also at that time, Mark was appearing in Leicester in 'Guys and Dolls' so I was travelling home at weekends to see that - he then got injured and Joe took over! I'd only met Joe once, so when Mark said he was taking over, we went to see him. Joe (bless him) thought we'd be upset cos Mark wasn't in it - he was really pleased when we said we'd travelled specifically to see him.

All the boys have been there for me at various times - it was Joe I ran to when I'd moved back home and things were really bad - Sam took me to see him and he sat me down and talked for a long time. I can't say what he told me, but I can tell you it helped me turn things around.

When I saw Stephen a couple of weeks ago we were talking about how long we'd known each other - they have all been in my life for 20 years, and although a lot of the old fans have moved on, I guess these guys will always be part of my life. There's something about them....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Miscellaneous photos All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: