The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New member, from the cold, cold North
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
draugdur

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: New member, from the cold, cold North Reply with quote

Hello!
I've been lurking around here for quite some time, and since I've recently started making it a daily habit to pop by and check for news here I thought I should make it official. So, here I am.

I'm a student in my mid 20's, from Sweden. When I'm not drooling over Mr McGann I like reading, drawing, making chocolates, knitting and writing, as well as a great number of other things.

Oh, yes, I also do some of that... what do they call it? Studying! Yes, I do some of that too. Occasionally. A couple of weeks ago I did some at least.

I take a course in rhetoric, during which you have to plan and perform some speeches, naturally, one of which was a panegyric, a tribute to a person, thing or phenomenon of your own choice. I choose to write it to someone I know, but I also made another one while I had the steam up. It might be somewhat extravagant from time to time, but in essence it's true, and I think it makes a good explanation of how I got McGanned and how I regard him, apart from appreciating his work and what little of his personality one gets the privilege of seeing in interviews, and of course admiring his integrity.

I have edited the first paragraph to suit this forum, and I'd like to apologize in advance for being bombastic and pompous.

Panegyric on the topic of Paul McGann

Beauty so intensive it paralyses you is rare. Have you ever experienced it? Of course you have, you're here, aren't you?

Paul John McGann, actor by profession, au audio-visual wonder by nature. How he managed to pass me unnoticed for so long it is beyond me. On the other hand, I didn't think much of Beethoven's ninth symphony in the beginning either.

It started with the mouth; I saw someone's drawings of his mouth. Time after time those lips, repeated beyond the limit of obsession. I decided to have a look at the original to see what the fuss was all about. One long, proper look and I understood. The Cupid's bow that should be arrogant but isn't, the lower lip that curves in an elegant repetition of the point of the chin. I SAW.

Then the effect of the rest of his features came storming over me: the nose, just enough straight, just enough bent; the razor-sharp line of his jaw; the chiselled temples; the perfect ears; the thick, wavy, dark brown hair; the wrinkles and the lines; the long neck and the long fingers; and then the eyes. The eyes!

Light blue with a dark blue edge; heavy eyelids and long lashes; melancholicly dream-sharp and for the onlooker everything else in the mind obliterating.

He's not perfect, I'm not saying that he is. But perfection is not the same thing as beauty, and beautiful he is.

It happens that my entire organism just stops when I see a picture of him. The synapses of my brain stop working; the seconds of the clock turn into eternities for a moment and then I come loose, released into a state of grinning stupidly.

You don't have to see him in order to experience this, because his voice is as beautiful as he, if not more! From the rumbling depths of his roaring, via the soft conversational tone, to the clean tenor when he sings. It makes me stop breathing sometimes.

Paul McGann: his face is exquisite, his body delightfully manly and his voice worth dying for.
StarKnight Lt WHO

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draugdur, can I just welcome you by first saying, WOW!!!! over your well-written Panegyric? Pretty please? Because, I definitely agree with you over all of that!!

THAT said, welcome to the Library! It's good to have you with us!!

~ Jenn
draugdur

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can Smile Thank you! Perhaps I should have done that speech instead of the one I did? Well, too late now.

THAT said, welcome to the Library! It's good to have you with us!!
Thank you! It's good to be here.
Pipi

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

draugdur:

welcome - valkommen. how far north?

with your obvious "panegyr" - ical talent for writing and probably, likewise for rhetoric, i ask that you might add to your list of likes and hobbies, this:

-to enlighten the rest of Sweden to this "beautiful" man
-to urge others to take notice of this praiseworthy actor's endearing and captivating features which can cause such pleasurable effects.

your next stop - Gushatorium Exclamation
msandusky

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful! And welcome to the Library!

Take that and multiply it by 2 and that's what you see in person.
draugdur

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pipi

1. Thanks! About the same latitude as Stockholm, so not as north as it gets, but enough to get the cold and the darkness and the pickled herring.

2. I spread the word, trust me on that. Actually spoke about him in the Rhetoric class last month, on the topic of narrating books and such. He is by far the best reader for audio books I have ever come across, so I informed the class and the teacher of his existence. No-one had heard of him, I'm sad to say.

And as for getting people to understand that he's gorgeous? Well, that tends to be painful. I remember my best friend when first exposed to PMG. She clung unto my arm (nails straight into my flesh) and shrieked! She got the point quite quickly. But I shall not let pain stand in my way when saving the poor, uninformed women and men around the world...

3. Oh yes!
draugdur

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@msandusky

Thanks!

Oh dear! I would die if I met him, then. Good thing it's quite unlikely that I ever will...
scribble

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and Welcome, draugdur Smile

I'm glad you came out of lurkdom and thanks for sharing your wonderful panegyric with us! I think it's safe to assume, we ALL agree with you! Laughing

Hope you enjoy it here and I'll see you around. Smile
~scribble
Biggles

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi draugdur! Welcome to the Library! Very Happy

Wow, that is a fantastic speech! Sums up Paul very well! He does provide some good inspiration for rhetoric, doesn't he? (I'm taking a Master's class in rhetoric myself, and I'm in the process of writing a rhetorical analysis of The Monocled Mutineer for my final paper.)

And I second what Michele said. That lovely speech multiplied by two is exactly what it's like to see him in person. It's quite a life-altering experience!
msandusky

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draugdur, you never know. I thought I never would meet him and I've met him twice--one weekend in Chicago in November then this past Sunday after Sonnet 155, I spent about an hour with him. It's a little unnerving at first, but you get over it. Sort of. He's very nice to fans.
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi draugdur and welcome to the Library! Thank you very much for posting your McGanned panegyric--it's a wonderful tribute to a beautiful man!! Very Happy

Estelle
Tegan

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally read your intro ... and uh speechless after taking in your piece on Paul

Bravo and welcome to the fun
Tegan

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

msandusky wrote:

Multiply only by 2? I dare say you've let me down Wink
StarKnight Lt WHO

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cat9 wrote:
msandusky wrote:

Multiply only by 2? I dare say you've let me down Wink

I think 2 might be a bit of an understatement [but I wouldn't know as I haven't quite met him yet]...! Wink
Tegan

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe a 1000 times might be more accurate?? Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Introductions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: