The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello from California!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scribble

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Hello from California! Reply with quote

Hi everyone! *waves*
I’m Monica from California, and here’s my long story.

Last winter, I borrowed Our Mutual Friend and the last 4 Hornblower movies from the library. I sound like just another fan planning a marathon viewing, right? Well yes…if I actually knew who Paul McGann was at the time! I confess that I'd never heard of him at that point!

From his first scene in OMF, I remember thinking that Paul was perfectly cast as Eugene. He was just how I imagined him in the book! The mini-series was great and for me, Paul’s performance was the highlight. Hmmm…do you think that realizing that under the wretched period mustache was an extremely handsome man with piercing clear blue eyes, a perfect profile and amazing voice swayed my opinion? Maybe just a little…Wink

The next night, I watched Mutiny. Can you just imagine my utter disbelief when I saw his name in the title sequence?? I was like, “I know that name! OMG, I’ts Eugene! SQUEE! What are the odds of this ever happening?” Needless to say, I thought he was amazing as Lt. Bush. Plus his clean-shaven, gorgeous face was perfectly framed by the bicorne and jacket lapels, THUD! And then came a profile shot, THUD! I watched in awe Shocked…and that was BEFORE he started bellowing commands. THUD! I didn’t think I had it in me Embarassed…I became a fangirl overnight!

Since then, I’ve watched and listened to everything I can get my hands on. My collection’s growing and I think that Paul’s fantastic in the things I’ve seen and heard thus far. Some of my favorites are Withnail & I, Doctor Who TVM, 8th Doctor audio dramas, and of course, Vurt. I would love to see Monocled Mutineer and Sweet Revenge among others, but haven’t had any luck in finding them. Any suggestions? I'd really appreciate it.

So it was a fateful visit to the library that led me to “my little obsession” with Paul and this Library. Just wanted to come out of lurkdom to say “Hi” to y’all and “Thanks” for this site, you’ve done a great job here!

Cheers!
scribble

Last edited by scribble on Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Monica, and welcome to this McGanned bit of cyberspace. I love your scribble screen name. Smile You've either heard or seen some of Paul's best work with the things you've mentioned.

Sweet Revenge is not commercially available, although you can get The Monocled Mutineer as a region 2 DVD from amazon.co.uk. Do you have a region free DVD player?

Some of my McGanned stuff is packed away, because we're doing some repainting at home. I'll see if I can find these items for you though.

Estelle
Tegan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome scribble - I'm only a newbie but there is lots of goodness in this forum Wink
msandusky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Scrib! (I'm relistening to Vurt now). I loved Sweet Revenge, I got a copy years ago from another fangirl. Monocled Mutineer is also good (he's SO young). I also loved Nice Town, though you would have to get it from a fangirl (and probably bad quality). You can buy The Hanging Gale from Amazon or Bestprices.com. Very depressing story, but the bright side is you get to see Paul and all of his brothers.

Welcome to the madness...
scribble

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the nice welcome, ladies!

And thanks guys, for the tips on where to find more of Paul’s work. I have a region free DVD player and believe it or not, I still have a VHS and cassette player. So as long as I can find it at a reasonable price, I’m good. Smile
But it seems that it’s TV work that hasn’t been released to VHS or DVD that’s close to impossible to get a hold of, huh? *sigh*…I would love to find Nice Town, The Biographer, If I Had You, Tripping Over and True Dare Kiss…basically, I want a copy of all his work! Sorry…obsessing again! Laughing
Frigate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Scribble! I think Paul kind of had that effect on ALL of us! I know my thud moment was pretty quick on seeing him myself! He's just so... Well, thud!
Tony: "Neither does 'Tony'."

Navy NCIS Naval Criminal Investigative Service 2003
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Introductions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: