The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off topic--sad day for me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Water Cooler
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msandusky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Off topic--sad day for me Reply with quote

I just had my beloved Rottweiler Gypsy put to sleep. She had very aggressive, fast-growing bone cancer. The oncologist would only have been able to shrink (maybe) a tumor pressing on her urethera and colon, she couldn't have treated the other 15 sites with any long-lasting success. Rather than put her through some painful, expensive treatments (the cancer was widescreen, inoperable, and she would have had to stay at the hospital the whole time, not with me) and not buy her any more than a few weeks of life, I chose to end her life peacefully and with dignity. I held her as the vet did the procedure and she went very peacefully. A coworker (and friend) took me there to be with Gypsy during the procedure. I'm sure I will agonize over this for a long time, but I think I did the right thing for her. Five years ago I had another dog who was 15 that I waited and treated--he was so miserable in the end. I didn't want her to suffer like that for primarily my benefit of holding onto her.

I'm going to look up a charity for either osteosarcoma (which is what she had) or for Rottweiler rescue and give a donation in her memory. I think she would have like that.
Tegan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The charity donation is a great idea for the memory of your beloved. Thoughts are with you at this time.
shipoftheline

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had to make similar decisions a couple of times in the past and be sure to know you did the right thing. It is never easy to know when to let go.

Sending you a big hug.

Photoshop resources
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry about Gypsy, Michele. I'd hoped that she had something more amenable to treatment and not inoperable cancer.

Hugs,
Estelle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Water Cooler All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: