The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lesbian Vampire Killers premiere Austin, TX

View previous topic :: View next topic  
msandusky

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Lesbian Vampire Killers premiere Austin, TX Reply with quote

It's scheduled to premiere Monday, March 16, at the Alamo Lamar 1 at 11:59 p.m. at the SXSW Film Festival.

http://sxsw.com/film/screenings/schedule/?a=show&s=F16655#

I think they reshow it on Wednesday. There's no mention if any cast will be there.

SXSW is a BIG indie music/film/whatever festival held in Austin every year. Some really cool bands play and interesting films are shown. One year, Russell Crowe's band 30 Odd Foot of Giants played there.

Unfortunately, I can't go--I leave for Atlanta on the 20th and have way too much to wrap up at the office.
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, this is cool! Well, I can't go either, since I'll be coming back from a trip to Boston and New York on Sunday, March 15. Hopefully, a DVD release will come soon.

Estelle
Begonia8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found out that the films from this festival are being run on our local "Movies On Demand"! Shocked I wonder if I'll get lucky?

"Come quietly and nobody gets hurt! I've got a large carrot and I'm not afraid to use it!"-The Eighth Doctor
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catherine wrote:
I just found out that the films from this festival are being run on our local "Movies On Demand"! Shocked I wonder if I'll get lucky?

That would be so cool, Cat!!

Here's another blurb about LVK at cinemablend.com:

By Josh Tyler: 2009-03-12 23:41:20 ShareThis

Tomorrow I hop in my car and head down I-35 to Austin, the best city Texas has to offer, for the best film festival of the South. Itís SXSW time again and weíll be battling torrential rainstorms and clogged traffic all the way there. Itís worth it. South By Southwest is a film festival unlike any other. Free of the publicists and rich douche bags which so often infest other major festivals, itís a great place to simply hang out, drink up, and watch movies.

Before we kick off our coverage, Iím going to ease you into the greatness of Austinís festival scene slowly with a look at just some of the films most worth paying attention to at this yearís South By. Then some time late Friday night or, if we have a particularly boozy good time, mid-Saturday morning, Cinema Blendís SXSW coverage will go full force until Leanne and I are rendered inert by a rogue Troll 2 screening or they kick us out of our hotel on account of the smell. You can only fit so many clean socks in a suit case.

Below in no particular order is a quick look at the movies weíre dying to see this year. Browse and click on the images for a look at each filmís trailer. Then keep checking back throughout the weekend and next week for our ongoing SXSW Film Festival coverage. Or just bookmark our dedicated festival channel right here.

Lesbian Vampire Killers (UK)

Itís all in the title. The official plot synopsis goes a little something like this: Matthew Horne and James Corden, the comedy duo behind the award-winning BBC comedy series Gavin and Stacey, are two hapless losers whose idyllic country holiday is shattered by the arrival of an army of thirsty lesbian vampires. Cast: Paul McGann, James Corden, Mathew Horne, MyAnna Buring, Silvia Colloca (World Premiere)

Estelle
Mikoto

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking everywhere for sign of a release date around here. I've seen nothing, which is a pity, as the gentleman friend has agreed to go with me (not that it took much coercing, with that title!). I'll keep an eye out ... we do have one little theatre about 45 minutes from here that tends to show UK films that wouldn't make it over otherwise, but it takes some time for them to get there.

One for:
~ 'Two hearts'
~ 'Thirteen lives'
~ A clock
~ 90s-grade CG
~ Reference to Puccini/Madame Butterfly

Two for:
~ Gratuitous Doctor Who continuity
~ Overtly Messianic imagery
~ Beryllium/atomic clock
msandusky

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The synopsis on the SXSW site says this:

Not content to bank on the power of a salacious title, director Phil Claydon's LESBIAN VAMPIRE KILLERS packs as much of a punch as the name implies. Matthew Horne and James Corden, the comedy duo behind the award-winning BBC comedy series GAVIN AND STACEY, are two hapless losers whose idyllic country holiday is shattered by the arrival of an army of thirsty lesbian vampires. James Corden owns the film with a non-stop barrage of rapid-fire tom-foolery and Paul McGann (the 'I' of WITHNAIL AND I) chews every inch of scenery as the vicar with a hearse heavy with undead-slaying devices. With heaping helpings of gratuitous skin, violence and onscreen beer consumption, LESBIAN VAMPIRE KILLERS seems tailor made for a witching hour debut at the Alamo Drafthouse.
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've come across a few uncomplimentary reviews of LVK, which I probably will still put up here. I wanna see this flick regardless.

Estelle
msandusky

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen some less-than-stellar reviews too, but I often disagree with critics. If a movie entertains me, that's all I care about. Then again, I'm not expecting much from this movie, so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Teri

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha Joe McGann just posted this over on Facebook-- poor guy (check out the caption). Confused But doesn't he look *fiiiiiiiiiiine*! Wink

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-pictures/Lesbian+Vampire+Killers+premiere-latest.do?id=23368649&page=5
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teri wrote:
haha Joe McGann just posted this over on Facebook-- poor guy (check out the caption). Confused But doesn't he look *fiiiiiiiiiiine*! Wink

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-pictures/Lesbian+Vampire+Killers+premiere-latest.do?id=23368649&page=5

How funny that there's a piccy of Joe but not of Paul. JM looks fab though. Say, Paul did remark that he and his bro's were regarded as interchangeable. Very Happy

Estelle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Films All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: