The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Glimpse of Paul in Doctor Who Christmas Special

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Gushatorium
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Glimpse of Paul in Doctor Who Christmas Special Reply with quote

I love this!!

The program incorporated a few story ideas from Big Finish's Minuet in Hell audio and from the post Ancestor Cell BBC EDAs.

Estelle
Mikoto

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I was explaining to a friend of mine:

10 fans (whose favourite Doctor has had a run rivaling Tom Baker's) are screaming and angry and threatening to stop watching now that he's leaving.

8 fans see two seconds of recycled 12-year-old footage and are insanely happy.

And that's not sarcasm. Embarassed I reeeally was (still am).

Minuet in Hell was one of my favourite 8 audios (one of my favourite Big Finish stories in general), and kind of cool considering I was expecting it to be more like The One Doctor (which I also liked, but still).

You know the other great thing about this episode??? CYBER-MECHA. Twisted Evil Paul and giant robots? Two of my favourite things together in one show!

One for:
~ 'Two hearts'
~ 'Thirteen lives'
~ A clock
~ 90s-grade CG
~ Reference to Puccini/Madame Butterfly

Two for:
~ Gratuitous Doctor Who continuity
~ Overtly Messianic imagery
~ Beryllium/atomic clock
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikoto wrote:
As I was explaining to a friend of mine:

10 fans (whose favourite Doctor has had a run rivaling Tom Baker's) are screaming and angry and threatening to stop watching now that he's leaving.

8 fans see two seconds of recycled 12-year-old footage and are insanely happy.

And that's not sarcasm. Embarassed I reeeally was (still am).

Yeah, me, too. I also felt a pang of sadness when I thought about Tennant's departure. I don't know anything about Matt Smith who's been named as the Eleventh Doctor.

Quote:
Minuet in Hell was one of my favourite 8 audios (one of my favourite Big Finish stories in general), and kind of cool considering I was expecting it to be more like The One Doctor (which I also liked, but still).

I enjoyed the Eighth Doc echoes a lot. I hope Paul will appear for real in one of the upcoming Doctor Who specials.

It's interesting that some folks he's worked with over the years have turned up on Doctor Who (i.e., David Morrisey, Kathryn Drysdale, Alexandra Moen, Dervla Kirwan, Richard E. Grant, Sophie Okonedo, Ron Cook).

Quote:
You know the other great thing about this episode??? CYBER-MECHA. Twisted Evil Paul and giant robots? Two of my favourite things together in one show!

Very cool, indeed!

Estelle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Gushatorium All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: