The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Lost Years
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Gushatorium
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you want to know about the Paul Mcgann fan club?

The McGann fan club was started in about 1986/7 when Mark was in 'Lennon' in London. My friend, an avid Beatles fan, was besotted by Mark, and took me to meet him (although I never actually saw the play). Mark was getting quite a following. A year or so later, when the show closed, I found Mrs McGann's phone number and rang - Paul answered! I asked to speak to his Mum Embarassed I then asked her if she would like me to start a fan club, but she said one had just started up and gave me info - I got in touch and wrote several articles over the next few years. The boys never wrote for the club but did meet up with us for conventions in Liverpool and Birmingham. I saw quite a lot of them over those few years and they often reviewed my articles before publication! I also took photos for sale through the Willy Russell/Blood Brothers Fan Club - an offshoot for Stephen fans. I first met Paul at a Beatles convention and spent two days asking him to sign various pictures - he then decided to follow me as he thought it was funny! After that he appeareed in the West End in a play 'Lie of the Mind' and I went to see him most weekends.

If I can dig out the old fan club mags I will copy them for any interested parties! I realise you are mostly Paul fans but his brothers are well worth getting to know - I'll give you stories about all of them sometime!

Will sign off as I've waffled enough - just great to talk to some McGann fans again. Take Care, Michelle
Intervain

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting topic!! I fist saw Paul in Withnail and I but I was a kid then and dint' realise anything LOL

Later on as a teenager I did see Paul from time to time in various productions - it was an ever resurfacing crush but nothing permanent until the Nature Boy was on the BBC. I wsn't going to watch it but all of a sudden I see this outlined sillhouette of a man in white and I was like hey, that's that actor that always gives me butterflies... so I kept watching and waiting for him to reappear Smile And afterwards I started doing some research into this apparition and well, the rest is history Very Happy I've been in love ever since and then I discovered the Library - great bunch of people!

After a few months I've met the gals and TEH Man himself. You know after that I shall never be the same again - it's teh gush forever! LOL
Rollyb

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waffle as much as you want Michelle that's what the Library is all about!! LOL
We'd love to see some of the "old stuff" you've got and it would be great to read about his gorgeous brothers as well. (Woof!!!)

A few of us got to meet Paul at the Chicago TARDIS convention in 2004 and we thought was a sweet guy! The con was great for another reason since a few of us Librarians got to meet for the first time - we had a fabulous time together.
Rollande Cool
Teri

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelle wrote:
So, you want to know about the Paul Mcgann fan club?

Wow Michelle, this is fantastic, thank you so much--my prayers are answered! Very Happy Laughing The mystery is solved, the missing link is in place. Smile I would just love to hear anything more you have to tell us about that time--yes, please do feel free to waffle on! I'm just eating this up. Smile

Michelle wrote:
If I can dig out the old fan club mags I will copy them for any interested parties!

I, for one, would be very interested! At one time Estelle sent me copies of all the old British Mercury newsletters (the PMEB's snailmail supplement to the online website), which I really enjoyed reading. I'd now like to know more about those earlier years, because I just figured as hot as Paul was in Monocled and Withnail at the time, there had to be some sort of fan activity going on then. I guess I'm just sort of a 'backhistory' ho, is what it is. Confused

Michelle wrote:
I first met Paul at a Beatles convention and spent two days asking him to sign various pictures - he then decided to follow me as he thought it was funny!

Oh yeah? A Beatles con? How cute. Smile Was he there because of Mark's Lennon gig? Or was he scavaging for Lennon material (I know John's his 'hero').

He followed you then?? Laughing *THUD!!* What a little prankster. He's such a charmer. Wink

Yes, please Michelle--go on! Smile Pictures, stories, anything! There are plenty of people here who can help you with posting images, too, if you want to and need help. (Don't dispair, either, if you can't get signed in--just sign your post 'Michelle' like you have been--we'll know it's you. Wink ) Thanks so much again--this is very sweet of you! YAY!!

Magda wrote:
After a few months I've met the gals and TEH Man himself. You know after that I shall never be the same again - it's teh gush forever! LOL

And methinks the 'crush' was a teensy bit mutual, Magda. Wink (He very much loffed Magda's Polish accent at CT, btw... *g*)
Begonia8

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I agree with Teri! Please, Michelle, spoil us rotten!
We could do with a bit of spoiling!

Catherine
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[b]Teri wrote [/quote]Oh yeah? A Beatles con? How cute. Was he there because of Mark's Lennon gig?

All the brothers are Beatles fans - rumour has it that they used to jump up and down on the sofa as small boys pretending to be the Beatles!

In 1988 Paul and Mark sang together on stage - and guess who was right at the front?!!!!! Again will try to dig out the piccies. Made a nice album, complete with captions, Very Happy (I was only 19) and then made the mistake of showing it to Paul, Mark, Joe and their Mum Embarassed They found it highly amusing and it took me a long time to live it down! Will try this weekend to dig out 'photos, put negatives on disc, load onto pc and post on this site. Will also try to include 'Thing-a -Thon' pictures of all McGanns on stage together. Bear with me as I'm not so good at this!! Sorry Embarassed
Teri

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelle wrote:
Will try this weekend to dig out 'photos, put negatives on disc, load onto pc and post on this site. Will also try to include 'Thing-a -Thon' pictures of all McGanns on stage together.

Oh my Bob, Michelle--I'm seriously salivating here! drool Laughing

This is so nice of you to do this for us--thank you! (I will bear with you for as long as it takes, btw. Very Happy )

Good fjørd--I just realized you saw Paul in person around the Withnail years! (Or was it during the Give Us a Break period?) How did he look at the time? Long hair, short hair? Was he 'pretty' then, like we always hear?

This is too cool for wordsl. Cool
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelle wrote:
All the brothers are Beatles fans - rumour has it that they used to jump up and down on the sofa as small boys pretending to be the Beatles!

I read somewhere that their mother dressed them up as little Beatles. Smile

Quote:
In 1988 Paul and Mark sang together on stage - and guess who was right at the front?!!!!! Again will try to dig out the piccies. Made a nice album, complete with captions, Very Happy (I was only 19) and then made the mistake of showing it to Paul, Mark, Joe and their Mum Embarassed They found it highly amusing and it took me a long time to live it down! Will try this weekend to dig out 'photos, put negatives on disc, load onto pc and post on this site. Will also try to include 'Thing-a -Thon' pictures of all McGanns on stage together. Bear with me as I'm not so good at this!! Sorry Embarassed

Hey, Michelle, I'm salivating with Teri here. Smile What you're describing is so, so cool!!

Estelle
Teri

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estelle wrote:

No way!! Surprised And you've been withholding that from us??? Surprised

(That's it--one dozen lashes with a soft feather, and ten minutes in the comfy chair for you, missy! Evil or Very Mad Laughing )

So did she sew little shantung suits with velvet collars for them, or something? Shocked

(Btw, here's the drool bucket, Estelle--I'm done.)

(For now.)

emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teri wrote:
Estelle wrote:

No way!! Surprised And you've been withholding that from us??? Surprised

(That's it--one dozen lashes with a soft feather, and ten minutes in the comfy chair for you, missy! Evil or Very Mad Laughing )

OK, Teri, when I come back from South Carolina, I'll do some research. Smile

By the way, I like the drool bucket. Smile

Estelle

P.S. This is Stephen and Mark's favorite picture of Paul (though properly speaking, that's the stuntman):

They thought a few circling sharks would further enhance the image.
Down East

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoil us rotten!

There are negative film scanners, as well as slide scanners or if you have the reflective prints they made, those can be scanned.

Really salivating---pass the drool bucket! Embarassed

Original negatives!....kept like a safely hidden treasure.

You guys are a treasure!
Teri

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddy, did you see all the pics Michelle and Sam posted on the 'Miscellaneous Photos' forum?? Shocked

You will flip.

Check it out here:

http://mcgannlibrary.org/viewtopic.php?t=391
Grace

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooooh, I can't wait to see the old fan magazines too!

I think I read that the boys used to strum on tennis rackets like guitars when they were being the Beatles.
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grace wrote:
Oooooh, I can't wait to see the old fan magazines too!

I think I read that the boys used to strum on tennis rackets like guitars when they were being the Beatles.

Hey, Grace, I heard Paul say this on a CD containing his Q&A with India Fisher at Panopticon 2003. I got the CD from eBay (heehee, where else?) and must transcribe the interview.

Estelle
Frigate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to this historic thread...

At the Horatian Convention in San Diego this October, I believe The Rainbow will be shown on the "big" screen in the conference room, among other Paul goodies (besides the Hornblower ones!) Just a little morsel for those who could be tempted to attend by such things. Very Happy
Tony: "Neither does 'Tony'."

Navy NCIS Naval Criminal Investigative Service 2003
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Gushatorium All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: