The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alien 3 screencaps by Down East
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Screen caps from the 1990s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Down East

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The character of Golic appears briefly after the hospital scene.
In the tunnel or someplace.
He assists the alien to escape, only to be killed by the alien.
It's kind of quick and far away or too quickly edited to see well.

They had quite a number of Alien3 scripts to choose from and even after they started shooting they couldn't decide which one they wanted to make.

From the cutting room floor scenes where Golic appears on Quadrilogy, the audio isn't very good because Fincher wouldn't have anything to do with the thing afterwards since they had butchered it and messed with his initial vision for it, there's a few short extra scenes featuring Golic. Just enough to show his character, and how the alien got free again.

1. Golic and one of the male prisoners (where it's indicated they were lovers/companion) and are negotiating. "No more cigarettes for you!"

2. When Golic goes to find the alien in the tunnels to pledge his loyalty to the creature. The creature turns on him and kills him.

Akka, the director David Fincher was very stressed out as it went along. It was his first feature film and the Fox execs kept coming around sticking their noses in the work and changing his decisions. They pulled the film apart from start to finish undoing what he had done, or wanted to do. They didn't seem to have a clue either and made up decisions as they went along, changing the script, cutting scenes up and much more. So that Fincher's vision for the film (which if left alone would have been good) was not respected. It seemed they tried to make Fincher their puppet and were back-seat directors doing what they wanted to do with it without any set script or vision or plan. They'd change things all down the line. So that when Golic's character disappears, nobody really knows what happened to him, because they cut out the scene and didn't think about it. Paul mentioned that in his commentary as did others who worked on the film.
Akka

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Maddy! That helps me a lot! Cool
I also donīt like Paul in this shaved look, with that dirty teeth, but he really plays such a different character als ususal and thatīs what I like to see again and again. And I love to see him munching that chocolates! Wink Laughing
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down East wrote:
The character of Golic appears briefly after the hospital scene.
In the tunnel or someplace.
He assists the alien to escape, only to be killed by the alien.
It's kind of quick and far away or too quickly edited to see well.

These scenes are from the extended version of the film. In the original release, the last we see of Golic is when he's in the infirmary.

Quote:
They had quite a number of Alien3 scripts to choose from and even after they started shooting they couldn't decide which one they wanted to make.

I think there were numerous rewrites but not a single coherent script. Before Fincher took over, some other director had imagined a planet made of wood or something with monks roaming around. Ralph Brown mentioned that he saw his character progressively getting dumbed down in an attempt to introduce a comic element.

It's interesting that supposedly the intent was to cast the principals of Withnail and I in Alien 3. Richard E. Grant was supposed to play the prison doctor (played by Charles Dance in the film). Ralph Brown and Paul came from Withnail and I, a film in which not a line of dialogue was changed (although the fencing scene was cut), to Alien 3, which was written and rewritten and rewritten as the filming was in progress. One of those suits you referred to, DE, said they knew they didn't have a movie when the filming wrapped. The editors created the theatrical release from bits and pieces and had Sigourney Weaver come in to film the final scene in which she plummets into the molten lead while keeping the newly hatched alien from escaping.

The Naked in London film that Paul was briefly associated with is also being made in a piecemeal fashion. His part was filmed and then discarded, and a completely different character was introduced.

Estelle
Akka

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emay wrote:

These scenes are from the extended version of the film. In the original release, the last we see of Golic is when he's in the infirmary.

Hmmm... Shocked Thatīs why I was so unsure. Iīve thought I havenīt seen this parts because of some very dark places scenes, but now.... Rolling Eyes well, I mustnīt think that my mind and eyes arenīt gone! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Screen caps from the 1990s All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: