The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Re-visiting Rome

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Water Cooler
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rollyb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re-visiting Rome Reply with quote

I've been rewatching the HBO series Rome these past few weeks on the History Channel. I only watched a few episodes when it first came out but now I'm watching every episode.

Although there is a lot of violence and nudity (which is not the focal point of the series), there is something intoxicating about watching it. It gives a bit of a glimpse of what Rome was like through the eyes of foot soldier Titus Pullo and centurion Lucius Vorenus at the time of Julius Cesar, Mark Antony and Gaius Octavian.

I'm disappointed that only two seasons were actually made because of skyrocketing costs. The storylines were great and the sets, costumes etc. were fantastic!

Anyone else rewatching this series?
shipoftheline

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not rewatching the series, but I loved it when it first aired. It is very good with some top notch actors. I guess the reason they decided to stop at two seasons was because of the costs of producing such a series. Too bad there is not more of a market for high quality tv.

Photoshop resources
Frigate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed it the first time around and you've got the right idea Ship - rewatch the good stuff! It just like the Hornblower things though - make something really good and worthwhile, then pull the plug due to lack of funds. Meanwhile, trashy glop can run for years with no funding issues! Jeez! Confused
Tony: "Neither does 'Tony'."

Navy NCIS Naval Criminal Investigative Service 2003
Down East

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the HBO site, we tried to get them to change their minds and continue for another another season but they were done with it. Many of the actors had said, yes, we'll do it, but the suits decided it was a no go. They didn't have to pay that much more, since they had all the props and lots of the costumes right there in the Cincetta studios, but Time Warner said they were going to make cheaper dramas and comedies on a smaller budget. I know that a lot of people, including me, no longer subscribe to HBO because of these kinds of decisions.

I really enjoyed the series. I didn't know it was replaying on History channel.

I'll have to tune in.
moetushie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replaying on History Channel, eh?
I'll have to check it out as well! Simon Wood (who plays...Octavian?) is quite cute...
Quality programming is good too. Razz
Akka

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVED ROME!
Last summer it runs here, only the first serie part and it was amazing!
Yes, Julius and Lucius and Titus, they were so great acted by them! Cool
Down East

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a fine series, and I'm pleased that more people will get to see it.

The second season.....WOW! Akka, you are in for more amazing stuff.

Music. Excellent.

Acting. Excellent.

I wanted it to continue and had Rome withdrawal, as did many others.

When there was hope for another season, I was hoping Paul could have been a part of it, too.

In the second series a secret crush on bad boy (James Purfoy) Marc Antony grew against my will. Those are the worst kind of crushes. Embarassed Twisted Evil

But I still love Titus and Lucius.
Rollyb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to have Rome withdrawals? Probably because I know there are only two seasons to this series. Sad I'll have to buy the DVDs.

Titus is such a loveable, mischevious character. He tries to loosen up poor Lucius(I like to refer to him as luscious..Wink ) every once in a while which gives this serious story some humourous moments.
What can I say about James Purefoy....... Twisted Evil

Maddy, in which role would you like to have seen Paul?
Akka

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luscius! Paul would be good in Luscius!

Maddy: It doesn´t seems to be good hoping for a second season here! Crying or Very sad Mad

How much seasons are there?
Rollyb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are only two seasons of this series Akka because it was too costly to make.
Down East

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What role?

Ah, well, I thought maybe one of the handsome soldiers, or for a bigger role, third wheeler Lepidus, from The Second Triumvirate. Consisting of Octavian and Mark Antony, the rivals for real power, and Marcus Aemilius Lepidus. Lepidus was sidelined early on in the triumvirate, and Antony was eliminated in a civil war, leaving Octavian as the sole leader.

They cut season two short by two episodes so Lepidus didnt' have that big of a role anyhow. I suppose they could have written more for him. He would have been fun. A laid back character who winds up surviving all the intrigue and treachery.

From Wikepedia:

Marcus Aemilius Lepidus, d.13 BC, was a patrician Roman politician of the 1st century BC who rose to become a member of the Second Triumvirate and Pontifex Maximus.

Lepidus was among Julius Caesar's greatest supporters. He started his cursus honorum as a praetor in 49 BC, was placed in charge of Rome while Caesar defeated Pompey in Spain, and was rewarded with the consulship in 46 BC after the defeat of the Pompeians in the East. When in February 44 BC Caesar was elected dictator for life by the senate, he made Lepidus "Master of the Horse", effectively deputy in the dictatorship. Their brief alliance in power came to a sudden end, however, when Caesar was assassinated on March 15, 44 BC (the Ides of March). One of the ringleaders of the conspiracy, Cassius Longinus, had argued for the killing of Lepidus and Mark Antony as well, but Marcus Junius Brutus had overruled him, saying the action was an execution not a political coup.

After Caesar's murder, Lepidus, despite reassuring the senate of his loyalty, allied himself with Mark Antony in a joint bid for power. But Caesar had left an heir: Gaius Julius Caesar Octavian, his great-nephew and adopted son. The three men met on an island in a river near Mutina (modern Modena), their armies lined along opposite banks, and formed the Second Triumvirate. Unlike the First Triumvirate of Caesar, Pompey, and Crassus, this one was formally constituted. In effect, it sidelined the consuls and the senate and signalled the death of the republic.

After the pacification of the east and the defeat of the assassins' faction in the Battle of Philippi, during which he remained in Rome, Lepidus assumed rule of the western provinces of Hispania and Africa. For a while he managed to distance himself from the frequent quarrels between his colleagues Antony and Octavian; however, in 36 BC an ill-judged political move gave Octavian the excuse he needed: Lepidus was accused of usurping power in Sicily and of attempted rebellion and was forced into exile in Circeii. He was stripped of all his offices except that of Pontifex Maximus. He died peacefully in 13 BC.

It was fun to think of what character he could be.
Rollyb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I would see him as much as a soldier but Paul as a Roman patrician, yes, definitely! It would have been a suitable and interesting role for him.
Paul seems to like something a bit on the darker side, a character never clearly defined as good or evil, with many facets, like many of the roles he has chosen.

Oh well, perhaps in the future........

Btw, does anyone have some caps of this series?
Would be eternally grateful. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Water Cooler All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: