The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Merchant of Venice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Screen caps from the 1990s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grace

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: The Merchant of Venice Reply with quote

From the old Library. Most of the pics are now lost, but I'll copy what remains, as well as the discussion. Silly Librarians! Very Happy

Suzanne wrote:
A few weeks ago, Pam sent me a text telling me that I had to see Paul's Merchant of Venice. I was wondering where I was going to get a copy, since I didn't think it was commercially available, and then I suddenly got thinking. I remembered taping a version on TMOV years ago, and never getting round to watching it - I wondered whether I still had it, and whether Paul was in it. A bit of searching at home uncovered the tape, which fortunately no one had reused in nearly 10 years. I popped it into the VCR, and there was Paul! I'd been sitting on this for years and had no idea - you can imagine how happy I was to find it! Very Happy

Here are some caps, quality not the best due to them being taken off screen with the digital camera:

Grace

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayjay wrote:
Wow.... love the costume...

don't like the hair so much...but he still looks amazing!

Thanks Suz! I didn't even know he was in the Merchant of Venice! What role did he play?

Paul doing Shakespeare....ThUD!

Jenn

Akka wrote:
Ohhaaaa, I haven´t seen MoV before, no pics, nothing! Paul has red hair? And the trousers... Laughing like a ballet dancer and again a middle part! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thanks Suz, from when is that movie? I mean in which year was is done?

Black Hound wrote:
Holy mackeral. Yeah, the hair is dorky, but the costume? *faints*

And I'm sitting here groaning for more screencaps. More, I say!! *g*

And what a shame you are in England or I would beg to borrow the tape as I can actually screencap direct from video tape.

pamdram wrote:
here's a link fort hose interested in the video of merchant of Venice. It isn't cheap, but c'est la vie! Oh, and I think it's only PAL version available...

http://www.carelpress.co.uk/shakmedia.htm

You'll have to find it a little further down the page..... Very Happy

Suzanne wrote:
Akka wrote:
Ohhaaaa, I haven´t seen MoV before, no pics, nothing! Paul has red hair?

It's a wig. MOV was made in 1996, after Doctor Who - the wig looks so like the DW one after a trim that it made me wonder whether Paul had brought it back from Vancouver with him. It unfortunately looks very fake in the caps that follow.

Oh - Paul played Bassanio, Jenn.

Jayjay wrote:
okay...Bassanio. I see it now. For a secondary character that's actually a great role. The level-headed, advice-giving best friend in any Shakespeare play is wonderful playing. Especially one who gets the girl. Nice that you also got a shot of the "ring" that he gave to the "young counsellor"

Well after those caps I think I can get beyond the hair...the tights and the tight breeches just do me in. And that kiss...sigh. I'll also take that smile, the eyebrows...

Suzanne wrote:
The hair doesn't look quite so bad in the later scenes, thank goodness. Paul suits the Renaissance costume very well. Wink

Black Hound wrote:
Thank you so much for capping these. What a treat!

Akka wrote:
Black Hound wrote:
Thank you so much for capping these. What a treat!

My words! Wink too!

Teri wrote:
Just when you think you've seen it all--and Suz unearths yet another relic out of her closet! Surprised Laughing One of the joys of admiring a seasoned actor--you never know where or when another retro gem might pop up! Very Happy

Well this is just so fun, because it's so classicly Shakespeare--which is something we've not gotten to see much of Paul in. And in tights yet!! (And we thought we were lucky to see him in half tights in HH2 Twisted Evil ...)

Yeah, the wig's bad. Although interesting anyway to us as Paul fans, being reminiscent of his 'In Need of Wig' era.

I really actually kind of 'loik-it-a-lawt' in this pic--very typically wild and intense McGann action here ...

And Paul does 'Riverdance'!! Surprised Wink TIGHTS!! *SIGH*

Suz, thanks so much for going through all you did to get these posted for us!
They're really fun to see.
How was he in this, btw?

Suzanne wrote:
Teri wrote:
Just when you think you've seen it all--and Suz unearths yet another relic out of her closet!

A box under the bed, actually, but close enough! I was scrabbling through tapes praying my mother hadn't recorded over it!

I'm still trying to work out exactly why I taped it (at 4 in the morning no less - schools' programmes, which this is, get shown at the crack of dawn), as it must either pre-date my Paul fixation or come very early into it. Glad I did, anyway, and thank you to Pam for setting me on the track - it's great to find a little Paulie gem without even leaving the house! Very Happy

Quote:
How was he in this, btw?

Very, very good. Paul is one of those rare actors who can make Shakespeare sound quite natural (Kenneth Branagh being the absolute master of the art, of course). And he has an excellent Portia in Haydn Gwynne.

Suz

Jayjay wrote:
Quote:
Kenneth Branagh

Maybe it has something to do with RADA. They were classmates, weren't they?

Shakespeare is a bit*h for a modern actor to work with -- I'm prime example of a total failure at it, LOL...

I'm not at all surprised Paul can pull it off with ease!

Jenn

Sarah wrote:
Suzanne wrote:
Here are some caps, quality not the best due to them being taken off screen with the digital camera

I have a dvd conversion of this lying around somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it out. The quality was pretty good from what I recall.

Sarah

Teri wrote:
Akka wrote:
Teri wrote:
Surprised Wink TIGHTS!! *SIGH*

How has he walked in this? As usual? Wink Laughing

Akka, what do you mean? Laughing Do you mean, as in: does he walk funny in them because they're binding up in weird places? Surprised Shocked Remember wearing those as a kid, how they always sort of twisted up in the 'upper leg' region, and would drive you nuts? Is that what you mean? Laughing

Sarah wrote:
I have a dvd conversion of this lying around somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it out. The quality was pretty good from what I recall.

That would be trés cool, Sarah! Keep us posted! Very Happy

Diesel wrote:
Quote:
Akka, what do you mean? Do you mean, as in: does he walk funny in them because they're binding up in weird places? Remember wearing those as a kid, how they always sort of twisted up in the 'upper leg' region, and would drive you nuts? Is that what you mean?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing boink, fell of chair onto floor Laughing

slitely recovered Great pics Suz, though, have to day, i don't think this ......euh... 'hairdo' is doing something for him Wink .
Diesel

Akka wrote:
Teri wrote:

Akka, what do you mean? Laughing Do you mean, as in: does he walk funny in them because they're binding up in weird places? Surprised Shocked Remember wearing those as a kid, how they always sort of twisted up in the 'upper leg' region, and would drive you nuts? Is that what you mean? Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Noooo, Teri! Laughing

I´ve thought about his.... how have you called it? "Cocky Walk"??
So, when he walks in THOSE tights you can see it very clear! Razz Know what I mean? Or has he walked like a hm....middleold people do? A little like a ballett dancer! Rolling Eyes

Jayjay wrote:
In other words,

does he do the "McGann Strut" in these tights???

eep.

Lindsaygirl wrote:
Quote:
the "McGann Strut" in these tights

Oh dear!

I think my ovaries just exploded.

They may be unrecoverable.

Just the thought of that one.........

KerPowwwweeeeee!!!

LG

Grace

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heehee! this is a funny thread to copy. Laughing
knights and knaves wrote:
Walk it, Baby!

I think if you're a guy walking around in tights, you're required to do a little macho strutting in defiant belligerance, in an "I don't give a S**t what you think!" manly way just for the fact that you're walking around in tights! Laughing

That's my take on it!

Thanks Suz!

Maddy

Lindsaygirl wrote:
I'm still wheeling from imagining the McGann 'bounce' in tights.......

urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrk,

LG

Teri wrote:
But you know, I can't get past the following pic, because--does anyone remember that a few of us mentioned that Paul did this 'waltzy/dancey' thing moving across the lobby with India at TARDIS last November? Well this is exactly the way it looked...

So I can't help wondering if Paul might not go into a 'waltzy/dancey' mode when wearing tights, too? I mean, it looks as though there's more 'Pas de Bourrée' goin' on here than 'strut', IMO, if you know what I mean. (Have I thoroughly ruined the fantasy? Shocked Laughing )...

I think at this point only our Suzy-Q can say for sure! Suz--can you shed some light?

Would you say it was more of a 'strut', or more of a 'Pas de Bourrée', IYO?

Suzanne wrote:
In that scene, it's definitely not a strut. He's walking very slowly and deliberately, as he has a big decision to make: whether to choose the casket of gold, silver or lead, as one of them contains Portia's image, and her hand in marriage.

However, in this earlier scene, there is definitely a strut going on! Don't know if you can see that from these caps, but they do give a good look at that cream costume, and its codpiece! Wink
---
I have to say that I don't like Renaissance costume all that much, but Paul's figure looks great in this one.

Suz

Teri wrote:
And could the codpiece be any more obvious? Shocked

I'm sure Paul must have had a snicker over that one... Wink

Thanks for filling us in, Suz! Very Happy

Jayjay wrote:
Yeah, that codpiece...

does the job, don't it? Draws that eye right....down...there.

and those pants fit quice nicely thank you.

Thank you very much Mr/Ms costume designer. And again, I say, thank you.

eep.

Black Hound wrote:
Teri wrote:
And could the codpiece be any more obvious? Shocked

Laughing All that's missing is the flashing neon sign -- "Get It Here".

Lindsaygirl wrote:
snicker!

I love the way you think, Jo!

Karin

Black Hound wrote:
Teri wrote:

Thanks for filling us in, Suz! Very Happy

Or should we say, "Thanks for filling THAT [codpiece] in, Paul".

I'm just sayin'.

Lindsaygirl wrote:
Giggle, I vote for number two! That codpiece would definitely be hard to avoid. Kinda like men whose eyes are always straying to women's boobs, OUR eyes would constantly be flitting down to check out the codpiece accomodations.

Mmmmmmm, really helps to put everything in proper perspective, don't it?

I really do love that whole cream-colored outfit though; it does nice things for his neck and chest regions too.

I would imagine that the wearing of tights might effect the walk a bit. Especially in the jacketed outfit, which is more regal and formal. I bet in that he did walk with more elegance and fluid poetry, as on a dance floor. I get what you're saying, Teri, and think you're probably right about that, and can see it in my mind's eye. But with that codpiece proudly begging for attention, I'd think that strut wouldn't be able to restrain itself from popping right back out!

Speaking of popping right out...which does bring some rather funny images to my twisted mind, I don't know much about codpieces, so a couple of questions. What were they designed for, easy access or protection or simply as a magnet for the ladies' eyes? And how exactly did one get that access; were they tied on? And did they come in an assortment of colors, so a fella could mix and match? And what about sizing? Just wondered.....

I'd sure love to see this one - the show, not the codpiece, well, that too!!!
That codpiece is demanding further scrutiny.

LG

Black Hound wrote:
Lindsaygirl wrote:

Speaking of popping right out...which does bring some rather funny images to my twisted mind, I don't know much about codpieces, so a couple of questions. What were they designed for, easy access or protection or simply as a magnet for the ladies' eyes? And how exactly did one get that access; were they tied? Just wondered.....
LG

You basically answered your own question. *g* The codpiece was originally designed to cover up the privy parts as the length of men's tunics got shorter and shorter. Hose was not as we have it today. These were basically very long stockings -- not like our modern pantyhose -- so the crotch area was split open. *waves hands about trying to explain*

So with the short tunics what the men were packing could become easily viewable if not covered by something. Hence the codpiece.

But as time wore on it also became a fashion item and heavily decorated, padded, etc. for the purpose of drawing a lady's attention.

And yes, most were tied on to the fronts of the hose.

Teri wrote:
As long as we've got our 'historic sewer' in the house... Wink

You know what I never get about the tights concept, though, is that when you take a look at the tunics, and all the detailing seamstresses were obviously capable of, why is it they never got the crotch of the pants/tights stitched up? Was it for ready access that it was kept open? Was there some sort of issue with pulling one's pants down entirely in those days? Drafts maybe?

I originally thought that Paul's cream colored outfit was a one-piece affair, and that the codpiece may have been used for access, but the pics on page one show it to be a top and bottom, so that sort of shoots that theory.

Why were people either incapable or reluctant to just sew up 'pants' as we know them now, Jo? With either buttons or a drawstring for closure?

Black Hound wrote:
Teri wrote:

Why were people either incapable or reluctant to just sew up 'pants' as we know them now, Jo? With either buttons or a drawstring for closure?

A lot of it is just style. Fashion for fashion's sake. They were attached up at the waist to the doublets -- tied in. If you were wealthy enough they were tied in with fancy ribbons, etc. that showed on the outside of the doublets to double as decoration.

And there are all sorts of variations on the style. Some were made from cloth, some were knitted. Some were parti-colored. Later on they become trunk hose and you get the lower part of the hose tied to the upper part along the knee area with fancy ribbon garters.

The poorer sorts generally didn't go for the codpieces or the extremely short doublets. They had hose/leggings that were tied off across the front opening. Wealthier folks had the codpieces and some were really quite extravagant with embroidery and all sorts of fancy stuff.

Lindsaygirl wrote:
Boy, I bet it made making out quite an extravaganza!

LG

Teri wrote:
I'm still curious as to what the codpieces themselves were mad of, though. The one Paul is wearing looks molded and somewhat hard. Was it a fabric surround of something more solid?

And does anyone know where the name 'codpiece' is derived from?

Never mind--Merriam Webster just answered that one...

Main Entry: cod·piece
Pronunciation: 'käd-"pEs
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English codpese from cod bag, scrotum
(from Old English codd) + pese piece
: a flap or bag concealing an opening in the front of men's
breeches especially in the 15th and 16th centuries

Lindsaygirl wrote:
Boy, I bet it made making out quite an extravaganza!

Yeah, and in our modern age we think unhooking a bra is a feat! Can you imagine? Shocked

Lindsaygirl wrote:
I'm sure we'd get very good after lots and lots of practice!

Oh, Bassanio, come hither darling!!!
And bring your codpiece with you.

Shocked

LG

Grace

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Hound wrote:
Teri wrote:
I'm still curious as to what the codpieces themselves were mad of, though. The one Paul is wearing looks molded and somewhat hard. Was it a fabric surround of something more solid?

They started out as cloth but became something more. *g* Made from more 'defined' materials. I've seen fancy tournament and show armour from the era with very pronounced codpieces made of metal.

But generally they were padded or stuffed with horsehair. Sort of like upholstery.

Diesel wrote:
Quote:
But generally they were padded or stuffed with horsehair. Sort of like upholstery

Laughing Laughing Laughing NOW I GET IT! That's why so many girly-fantasies are about horses.............. Wink Codpiece'fillings' protected by horsehair, testosterony scent mixed with horse scent........... Twisted Evil WOUWZAAA! Twisted Evil

Diesel

Lindsaygirl wrote:
Black Hound wrote:

I've seen fancy tournament and show armour from the era with very pronounced codpieces made of metal.

At the Tower of London, we saw one of Henry the VIIIth's armours, and it had a codpiece that was huge. You could see that thing coming from a mile away - let's just say you would have had a hard time standing anywhere near him. We giggled and commented on his obviously way overinflated image of his manly goods. Men, such peacocks!

LG

Diesel wrote:
Quote:
We giggled and commented on his obviously way overinflated image of his manly goods. Men, such peacocks!
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Instantely brought image to mind of man with 'his tail' on his @ss like a peacock... Shocked .... Laughing Laughing Laughing Lifted up like a peacock's tail strutting about he looks like one dumb@ss turkey! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Diesel

Suzanne wrote:
With Henry VIII, I think the phrase 'compensating for something' springs to mind! Wink

Suz

Lindsaygirl wrote:
Giggle - me thinks you're right!
LG

Diesel wrote:
Quote:
With Henry VIII, I think the phrase 'compensating for something' springs to mind!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Ahhhh, and now a days they compensate it with a car, expensive mobile or what ever .... Laughing Laughing Laughing
Sure was a lot simpler then.....to recognise them Wink .

Diesel

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

You have to admit, there's always something new to learn at the library!

I'd heard of the word codpiece, but didn't know it was THAT particular admornment. I guess it must have been derived from the codfish in some way. Hmmmm Shocked

It certainly does draw the eye to it...compositionally and the rest! Twisted Evil Wink

Also, there were those chamber pots in the rooms, and probably not a lot of fun to have to go out to the privy in the middle of the night or in winter or bad weather. So, easy access again...

It seemed that the clothing of those times, were mostly pieces, and not one single garment sewn together. Guess that's why it took so long to get dressed, and have someone help you dress, that is, if you were well to do...and probalby made de-robing, if you were with someone you liked, a pretty sexy affair.

But yeah, the men could really play it up!
Advertising and imagination...

Maddy

shipoftheline wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

You have to admit, there's always something new to learn at the library!

I'd heard of the word codpiece, but didn't know it was THAT particular admornment. I guess it must have been derived from the codfish in some way. Hmmmm Shocked

Hehe!! You must have missed our codpiece thread over at horatians then... it was highly amusing. LOL!

Diesel wrote:
Quote:
I guess it must have been derived from the codfish in some way. Hmmmm

Laughing Laughing Laughing No no, Maddy, it's the blowfish that blows himself up to...uhm 'impresse'............ Wink Laughing Laughing

Diesel

Naughty, Diesel! Laughing

Still though, I can't help it, it's all so very funny.

The other fish out there in the ocean must be forever teasing the cod fish about it, it's a wonder the cod can ever stop blushing.

I'll never stop snickering whenever I hear cod fish mentioned in a sentence.

Maddy

Teri wrote:
Laughing Laughing Diesel!

Here's the definition again, if it helps...

Main Entry: cod·piece
Pronunciation: 'käd-"pEs
Etymology: Middle English codpese from cod bag, scrotum
(from Old English codd) + pese piece
: a flap or bag concealing an opening in the front of men's breeches especially in the 15th and 16th centuries

Diesel wrote:
Quote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing I thought it said; 'function; none'...... Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink , a flap or bag? Bag? Hmm, thx Teri, thought it was just a piece of clothe, not an intire bag...

Diesel

Suzanne wrote:
I suppose it depends how much you had to put in it... Wink

Thanks, Teri - I could find a definition, but not a derivation, in the books i have.

Suz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Screen caps from the 1990s All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: