The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A good role: Rossi in The Historian

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Down East

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: A good role: Rossi in The Historian Reply with quote

A good role for Paul would be that of Oxford Professor Rossi.
Maybe his agent will get on it. The movie hasn't been cast yet but has a release date of 2010. And let me tell you....
There's librarians a-plenty in this story.
The library is king. There's plenty of time for Paul and his agent to plan their schedules fo accomadate this movie role.

"The Historian is a 2005 novel by Elizabeth Kostova about a quest, reaching through the past five centuries, for the historical Dracula. The novel, Kostova's first, appeared on the New York Times bestseller list during the summer and fall of 2005 and it was named the 2006 Book Sense "Book of the Year" in the Adult Fiction category. It's been published in 28 languages.

In May, Sony Pictures Entertainment paid $1.5 million for Kostova's debut novel, which centers on a young woman who travels through Europe looking for her father who went missing while trying to find the grave of Vlad the Impaler.

In the process, she battles nefarious vampires. Set amid ruined castles and moonlit crypts, Kostova's 656-page novel weaves three story lines that deal with Dracula's Eastern European homeland.

While nominally a modern re-telling of the Dracula story, The Historian delves deeply into the nature of history and its relevance to today's world, as well as serving as a cautionary tale on the historical antagonism between Western Civilization and Islam.

A first-time novelist, she spent 10 years on "The Historian" .

"At 642 pages, "The Historian" spans decades, takes the reader to Istanbul, Budapest and Romania, and opens in Amsterdam in 1972, when a 16-year-old girl finds a rare book in her diplomat father's library.

Reluctantly, the father tells her the story behind the book -- a dark tale involving his mentor Professor Rossi, his mentor's daughter and the perilous search for the tomb of Vlad the Impaler, a 15th century Wallachian prince who was the inspiration for Bram Stoker's Transylvanian count in "Dracula."

The story delves deep into ancient history as the roots of Vlad the Impaler, later known as Dracula are brought to light. When her father disappears under unusual circumstances our narrator is thrust into making critical choices as she pits herself against the epitome of evil in an attempt to save him and the world at large from the horror that is Dracula.

Prepare to be “wowed,” this is the best book I have picked up in quite some time. The ten years it took Kostova to research and write this refreshingly different take on the Dracula legend have not been spent in vain. No quick and dirty horror story, this is a fine piece of literature. Using vocabulary the way a painter uses oils the author creates a walk through history where one can almost taste, touch and smell countryside. At 656 pages this is not a fast read and certainly I could have let out more of the story then I did but I don’t want to spoil the wonder of discovery that awaits you. The pacing remains steadfast throughout, building on the story line and suspense to a satisfying ending which wraps up loose ends with just enough hint of question to pique the reader.

This definitely gets 5 out of 5 stars."

The novel is presented as 1st-person account written in the year 2008. The narrator is a historian whose father, Paul, unwittingly ended up searching for the vampiric Vlad Ţepeş. Although There are three distinct storylines narrated in parallel, alternating chapters:

1. The narrator's actions in 1972/1973 when at the age of sixteen, she began to travel with her father (Paul) through parts of Europe and, later, from Amsterdam to Southern France with an undergraduate from Oxford, Stephen Barley.

2. Paul's travels during the 1950s, when as a graduate student, he travelled (initially) to Istanbul then to Budapest and then parts of Eastern Europe in search of his mentor, Professor Bartholomew Rossi, who may or may not have been kidnapped.

3. Professor Rossi's own travels in Eastern Europe during 1930's on his search for Vlad's tomb. While he is in a small Wallachian village he meets a beautiful Romanian woman in the Carpathian forest. She provides him information about Vlad Dracula. They continue to meet each day conversing till one day she shows him a piece of information related to Vlad that brings her and Rossi together in love.

But alas, he must leave her....with promises that he will return....

Since Paul is a veteran of the vampire genre...

He would be wonderful as Profesor Rossi who one of the two significant characters in the story. He should get a good chunk of time on film, in this role. Rossi is an academic loner wrapped up in his work and his obsession, till life and love takes him by surprise when he meets the young peasant woman in the Carpathian forest....

(There's a very sweet love story. I did not expect it....)

He'd also be great as the girls' father Paul, too, if they weren't hung up about accents. I suppose he's an American but overall most the scenes take place in Europe so I thought that they were European or British.

Looking forward to this film and hope Paul will have a chance at either one. He and his agent should know about its being annouced by now.

Last edited by Down East on Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope his agent will pick up on this opportunity. Thank you for posting a review of the novel, which sounds really good.

Estelle
Frigate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Estelle! This is actually a good novel, which sort of took me by surprise when I read it and I agree, Paul would be excellent in it. I wish we could put a foot up his agent's rear to get her moving on this or anything else big screen as I don't think she's done Paul any favors lately by keeping him small screen and local. I don't care how excellent BBC programming is, if he's not exposed to a wider audience his career will tank. Look at how many of us saw him on Dr. Who or Hornblower for the first time - stuff that people outside of the UK actually saw!
Tony: "Neither does 'Tony'."

Navy NCIS Naval Criminal Investigative Service 2003
wshaffer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frigate wrote:
Thanks Estelle! This is actually a good novel, which sort of took me by surprise when I read it and I agree, Paul would be excellent in it. I wish we could put a foot up his agent's rear to get her moving on this or anything else big screen as I don't think she's done Paul any favors lately by keeping him small screen and local. I don't care how excellent BBC programming is, if he's not exposed to a wider audience his career will tank. Look at how many of us saw him on Dr. Who or Hornblower for the first time - stuff that people outside of the UK actually saw!

Well, I doubt it has anything to do with The Historian, but I did hear a rumour over on one of the Doctor Who forums that Paul was going to be doing some work in the States this spring. (Someone was asking the organizers of a Doctor Who event if Paul would be attending, and they said that they'd asked, but that he couldn't make it because he'd be working in the US.) So, maybe we'll be seeing Paul on big or small screens in the US sometime soon!

Though, much as it is frustrating that Paul is doing all this work that's very hard for those of us overseas to get hold of, I'm not entirely convinced that his agent is doing him a disservice. A good solid role in a British TV series is certainly a lot more satisfying for an actor than a supporting role in a big budget film that ends up on the cutting-room floor. Projects like Hornblower don't come along every day. (Alas!)
Laura

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes actors do take "local" projects because going away for a 3 or more months shooting does interfere a lot with their personal lives.
Lately the most interesting projects are on Tv rather than on the big screen..... as much as I'd love to see Paul on the big screen now (and I'd have a kick just looking at him on the big screen... Razz ), I wouldn't want him to waste his precious talents on a crappy movie with a stupid script Crying or Very sad

I will have to read The Historian book.. I am intrigued...
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wshaffer wrote:
...I did hear a rumour over on one of the Doctor Who forums that Paul was going to be doing some work in the States this spring. (Someone was asking the organizers of a Doctor Who event if Paul would be attending, and they said that they'd asked, but that he couldn't make it because he'd be working in the US.) So, maybe we'll be seeing Paul on big or small screens in the US sometime soon!

That would be very cool indeed! I asked one of the ChicagoTARDIS organizers at the recent November con if they'd consider asking Paul, and she just smiled and said they'd think about it. Meanwhile, Colin Baker is slated to be the big cheese at ChicagoTARDIS 2008 (he was also there in 2003).

Last year Gally organizer Shaun Lyon wrote Down East a terse e-mail explaining why Paul wouldn't be invited to the con featuring Eric and Eliza Roberts (and Colin Baker was at Gally last year).

Quote:
A good solid role in a British TV series is certainly a lot more satisfying for an actor than a supporting role in a big budget film that ends up on the cutting-room floor. Projects like Hornblower don't come along every day. (Alas!)

He's already had extensively gutted parts in Empire of the Sun and Alien 3, so more of the same would be bad. His recent roles on British TV has been as philandering husbands (see Lie with Me, If I Had You, Tripping Over, and True Dare Kiss--screencaps to be back soon). If he will be working in the US, I hope he'll be doing something that lets him flex his acting muscles a little more.

Estelle
Teri

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emay wrote:
Last year Gally organizer Shaun Lyon wrote Down East a terse e-mail explaining why Paul wouldn't be invited to the con featuring Eric and Eliza Roberts (and Colin Baker was at Gally last year).

So what what was the reason he gave? Shocked
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teri wrote:
emay wrote:

So what what was the reason he gave? Shocked

Here's what he said:

"Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, Mr. McGann (who has done our convention in the past) is both in the UK and beyond our budgetary capacity.
Best,
Shaun Lyon
Gallifrey 2007"

Estelle
Frigate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul in the U.S.? Oh, that would be lovely! But wow, has it ever been kept quiet! And yes, a nice chunk of screen time that actually makes it to the screen LOL! would be wonderful both for him and for us!

As for that email from Shaun, all I can say is "Well!" That's not only "terse", it's borderline snotty. Crying or Very sad
Tony: "Neither does 'Tony'."

Navy NCIS Naval Criminal Investigative Service 2003
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Films All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: