The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

From the days of yore--Paulapalooza!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Water Cooler
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: From the days of yore--Paulapalooza! Reply with quote

Back in the day when the PMEB stood for the Paul McGann Estrogen Brigade and not its current Pretty Much Everything Brigade, the members were thrilled to have a con celebrating Paul's work. They called it Paulapalooza and planned a big time event. However, only ten people showed up in Toronto but still had a fab time. Here's the information blurb about the con that was held June 16-18 2000: http://www.fandoms.org/mcganncon/. And here's a brief writeup about the festivities: http://fandoms.org/drwho/paulapalooza.html. Smile

And Paul even sent the attendees this cutesy e-mail, which heightened the excitement of the event:

Dear Darlings---

It's quite possible that by the time you convene in Canada I'll be sleeping in Spain. So while I'd love to say I'll be thinking of you I can't honestly be certain. But you're in my thoughts right now, and I'm smiling guessing what you'll probably get up to.

I want you to know that apart from the natural buzz I get putting food in the mouths of my kids, there's no better thrill from working than having your respect. That, and knowing I've probably been unwittingly responsible for scores of new relationships. I ask you- how could they ever doubt The Web?

Once again, my deepest thanks for your continuing support and good wishes.

I raise a glass of Cava in your honour.

Enjoy today and misbehave. And if it's too hot to sleep here--I'll misbehave too.

With Love,
Paul.'

Estelle
Frigate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG that's AWESOME ! Complete THUD! Did he actually send that on his personal email? And how wonderful to even think of sending a note and what a marvelous (and true) sentiment - to recognize the fact that he's indirectly responsible for a multitude of relationships (like ours! Very Happy )! Just when you think to yourself, he can't be all that special, can he? - you find something like this. Thank you so much for sharing this Estelle!

I especially love the bit "But you're in my thoughts right now, and I'm smiling guessing what you'll probably get up to." Laughing

And this: "Enjoy today and misbehave. And if it's too hot to sleep here--I'll misbehave too." Laughing Laughing

One has to wonder how he was thinking of misbehavin', doesn't it? Wink
Tony: "Neither does 'Tony'."

Navy NCIS Naval Criminal Investigative Service 2003
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frigate wrote:
Did he actually send that on his personal email?

He e-mailed the message to Lynn Gavigan, who shared it with the rest of the ladies. And, yes, Paul does have a history of random acts of internet kindness. Back in 2004 Teri e-mailed him via his agent a couple of times and asked him to send a birthday greeting to Em Friedman for her 4-0 birthday. Em said she was blown away to get a little message of encouragement from him. And back in the day, after Down East reminded him (again via his agent Lorraine) that Gaby, her sister Susana, and Karin had missed seeing him after a performance of Mourning Becomes Electra, he called their hotel to say he was sorry he'd missed them. Because they'd already checked out, he relayed the story to Lynn G, who, in turn, let the rest of us know. Smile

Quote:
Just when you think to yourself, he can't be all that special, can he? - you find something like this.

These niceties are few and far between though. But still he didn't have to to do anything at all. Smile

Quote:
I especially love the bit "But you're in my thoughts right now, and I'm smiling guessing what you'll probably get up to."

He's very much a man of the moment. Smile

Quote:
"Enjoy today and misbehave. And if it's too hot to sleep here--I'll misbehave too."

He was in Spain for the filming of the second series of the A&E Horatio Hornblower films when he wrote the little message.

Estelle
Frigate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! I wondered if that was what he was doing there but then thought maybe it a later year. I also wondered what kind of misbehavin' he was contemplating! Still wondering... Laughing

And yes, they may be few and far between, but it's so unbelievably rare for a celebrity of any status to contact his fans that it makes this very special. *SQUEE!* Like you said, he didn't have to do anything. Thanks again for sharing!
Tony: "Neither does 'Tony'."

Navy NCIS Naval Criminal Investigative Service 2003
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Water Cooler All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: