The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Men in Trees - James Tupper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Water Cooler
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Down East

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Men in Trees - James Tupper Reply with quote

Watched the ABC pilot for "Men in Trees" in which James Tupper plays a Fish and Game warden in Alaska. He's not the main character, but I think he's rather handsome in his Irish cable knit sweater and stubble.... Wink

I think I could like this show a lot. Twisted Evil

They are re-playing the pilot and premiering another episode together on Friday, Sept 15 9pm EST on ABC.

It is filmed in Vancouver, British Columbia so if you're looking for a quirky drama with a beautiful setting....(can't get that kind of scenery in Hollywood or LA or NYC!)

http://abc.go.com/primetime/menintrees/index.html

I liked the pilot. Especially the racoon and snowplow bit, and the scenes between Tupper and Heche. It's a fun, light romantic dramedy. They have two good writers on board, so....

Last edited by Down East on Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Akka

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, seems to be an interesting serie, although I think THIS would come to us years later! Confused
Tupper looks great and I wondered about Anne Heche´s long hair, I know her only with short hair!
Thanks Maddy, I love to see what´s new and may be come to us! Cool
Down East

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update on Men in Trees.

Well, the show is coming along nicely. It makes me laugh and that's a good thing.

It's developing some interesting plots and characters. For instance, the James Tupper character (Jack) has a brother who is completely opposite. Jack likes the outdoors, dislikes the city, says little--his brother the opposite. His brother, who puts himself off as more cultured than Jack vies for Marin's attention, and since he has more in common with Marin, why doesn't she go for him (the city boy) instead of Jack, the outdoorsman?

I think there's some good conflict going.

I especially liked the episode with the carribou in the bar.

One reviewer said:

"So here we have all the makings of a televised train wreck. And yet, Men in Trees’ breezy triviality turns out to be the show’s biggest strength. A few years back I might have called it inconsequential drivel, but given the recent glut of crime procedurals and moody Lost clones, this dumb, dumb show feels like a fresh Spring breeze blowing through the charnel house.

LOL!

It’s just refreshing to spend an hour in an environment where there’s so little to worry about; nobody’s in danger of being gang-raped, nobody accidentally kills a kid on the operating table, and nobody has to be reconstructed from scalp fragments and teeth discovered in the soft serve dispenser at the Souplantation.

So in spite of my misgivings, my thought process while watching the pilot went something like this: “Oh, this show is cute. Ugh, this show is annoyingly cute. Hmm… this show is intriguingly cute. Hey, I’d forgotten how much I used to like ‘cute’!”

That’s not to say that Men in Trees is a masterpiece, but it is something that is otherwise in short supply on this year’s prime time schedule: fun.

The show has some other things going for it, too, not the least of which is Anne Heche’s turn as Marin Frist. As we learned from her stint on Ally McBeal, Heche is a natural at the silly, slapsticky sort of humor that’s on display here. She sells her ludicrous situation with an effortless, un-self-conscious charm, and in the process makes her basically obnoxious character seem likeable.

The rest of the cast is also strong, particularly the always terrific John Amos, who gets most of the best lines and deserves them. It’s also great to see Abraham Benrubi — the guy who played Jerry the desk clerk on ER several decades ago when it was still watchable — as the town bartender; though I’m thinking the lower half of his body should really get a better agent.

The cast’s weak link is James Tupper, who as Marin’s apparent love interest is so wooden he should be standing in the corner of a cigar shop wearing a headdress. Then again, that might be because all the script asks him to do is be strong and silent, like the mighty oak. Way to blow apart our preconceived notions again, Men in Trees!

There’s also some genuinely funny dialogue. I’m shocked to admit that I actually laughed out loud three separate times, which is five times more than I did when I watched the pilot of ‘Til Death.

The question is, can Men in Trees sustain our interest in this shallow, overly talky, mildly grating character’s love life for more than a couple of episodes? I wouldn’t think so; but then, I didn’t think anybody would want to watch the four shallow, talky, grating hobags on Sex and the City either, and that lasted six seasons.

I still say that show’s runaway success was largely a testament to how much yapping guys will put up with in order to get a glimpse of some funbags. Men in Trees probably won’t scare up nearly as much of a male audience, because there’s no full frontal on network television, and because there are no funbags on Anne Heche.

However long it lasts, you can expect Men in Trees to remain daffy, lightweight, and preposterous. And I think that’s reason enough to give it a shot."
Down East

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few piccies of James Tupper as Jack the Fish and Game warden from the past few episodes. Oh, those curls!!!

He could teach me how to fish anytime.
I mean, he's so darn handsomely cute!
I'm quite smitten.
And he's so squeaky new on the acting scene, there's hardly anything out there about him, which is kinda neat discovering him and seeing how his acting career might go any which way.

Oh, I found out he's Canadian, from the Maritimes--Nova Scotia, 34 yrs old.

SIGH!

Rollyb

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian eh??? And a very handsome fellow he is, looking very eastcoast-ish(of course since he's from the Martitimes) in his cableknit sweater and stubble and curly locks...
Must check out this show.
Rollande Cool
Saphira

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down East wrote:
Oh, those curls!!!

::swoon:: Hairslut that I am, I might have to tune in just for that. When's it on, again? And on what channel?
Down East

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Rollande, he's one of your neighbors. Not too, too far from me, either. Wink But you'll have to share this doll baby.
I heard he was chosen in Canada's top ten most handsomest men.

I also heard he did a mini biopic film playing Ken Kesey (Gotta love this guy!) showing how Kesey was researching and writing One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Wish I could get my hands on that.

Saphira, it's on Friday nights, 9pm, ABC EST.
It's lovely just to watch JT, although I started out watching it for the setting and basic scenario which is a fun show with some good bits.
Akka

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!
I just saw your sumer, autumn piccies and now I think it´s clear that you love this series! It´s the similar country where the movies are from, or? Wink
Rollyb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, Rollande, he's one of your neighbors.

He may be a neighbour but not close enough for my taste... Laughing Laughing I'll share this little cutie patootie with you though even though he's a bit young for me!!!! Wink

Akka, this series is filmed on the west coast of Canada and it's a scenic area it it's own way. It's not quite the same as the east coast but very beautiful nonetheless.
Rollande Cool
Down East

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of cute episodes in the last few weeks.

Hair related....for Akka.

The first hair related bit...Marin plays a "spin the bottle" game called "Seven minutes in Heaven" where the person who spins the bottle gets to go in a closet alone with the person it points to. It's Marin's birthday party. She spins the bottle, and it points to Jack. He looks up and says...

"I'm not playing this game."

Into the closet with you, young man!

In the closet. They talk.

They talk some more.

Marin decides that when they leave the closet, their hair should be mussed when the crowd sees them.

There, is that better?

Last edited by Down East on Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Down East

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then the next episode featured hair again when Marin decided she was letting herself go and her hair was a mess. Only thing was, nobody really noticed, at least the men.

Marin says, "Look at my hair! Don't you notice anything?"
Jack says....huh?
"What do you think about my hair?"

The old timer at the bar warns Jack not to answer. "That's a loaded question."

So Jack carefully says..."You always look good."

The bartender tells her it doesn't matter, "just look at all the guys around you..."

Well, that's not good enough. Marin decides to get her hair done with the only hairdresser in the area, a translplant from New York who..."loves the crap out of nature!"

So, he's ready to cut her hair and they're all chatting.

When suddenly, there's an earthquake tremor. Her friend sees the damage.

The hairdresser has a hunk of her hair in his hand he accidently cut off when the earth moved!

Back at the bar in town. Marin says to the guys "Look at me!"

They're like...what?

Jack says, "Oh, you got your hair cut."

Marin says, I was an earthquake victim.

Jack says, "Oh, well, I can help fix your hair up."

Jack says, "I used to groom dogs when I was in college."

LOL!

Then later, they go into the mountains to help in a search and rescue because an avalanche farther north fell on their friends cabin.

Jack ties her to him so they don't get separated.

Marin winds up pulling Jack out of an old abandoned air shaft.

They reach the cabin and all is well.

At the end, Marin finally decides to let Jack cut her hair. It was very cute.

Last edited by Down East on Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Down East

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, just because....some shoreline piccies.

By the way, the singer/songwriter Jewell will be a guest on the next episode, Men in Trees.
Akka

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Laughing Maddy, that was cute! Thanks! Very Happy Earthquake victim! I must remember this when my hand begin to..äh....isn´t quite enough to make a good line cut! Cool Laughing
Taralom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weee, new series, new man. Laughing

Both total strangers to me Embarassed but thanks for the introduction, Down East.

Haven't heard from Anne Heche for a while so it's good to see her again. And look who's in it too, Larry from Parker Lewis. Shocked

As for James Tupper ...

Quote:
he's rather handsome in his Irish cable knit sweater and stubble

Ditto *thud*

A real outdoorsman. Wink

Now why is it called Men in Trees? *not really getting it* Embarassed

His witching words, Their tones of bliss, His hand's fond pressure, And ah--his kiss!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Water Cooler All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: