The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HH2006 and me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Water Cooler
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:19 am    Post subject: HH2006 and me Reply with quote

When I was making plans to attend HH2006, I figured I’d leave the Wednesday before the con and drive up to Charlottesville, VA where I’d spend the night and then on Thursday take a walk down memory lane in the place where I did my neuropathology fellowship and where my twins Stephen and Brian were born. I’d then make the two hour drive to Williamsburg. However, real life intervened, and on Wednesday I drove to Knoxville, TN to pick up my kiddos Stephen and Mark so they could spend their fall break from the University of Tennessee at home in Nashville. Being a dilatory sort of person, I didn’t leave bright and early on Thursday morning but left in the afternoon instead. I had a pleasant en hour drive to Williamsburg though listening to Simon and Garfunkle, U2, and Paul reading Sharpe’s Fury.

I checked into the Embassy Suites a little after 2 am, and the rest of the Horatians seemed to be snug in their beds. I’d missed the meet-and-greet and the showings of the Gregory Peck film Captain Horatio Hornblower and The Duel, which is the first film in which the Midshipman Hornblower learns there’s no crying in the Royal Navy. I met up with the gang including Gaby, her sister Susana, Karin, and Jenn the next morning. After watching and commenting on Fireships, we were off to Colonial Williamsburg. Gaby and Susana directed me, while Jenn drove off with Karin and her pal Brenda.

We had a great group photo taken at the Wren Building, and then people started taking their own, including me:

Jane, Pam (purveyor of extraordinary margaritas, and Susana:

Pam, Susana, and Jamie:

A view of a house:

We had lunch at the King’s Arms Tavern. If you ordered the beefsteak you’d get a hamburger, while the chicken and ham dish consisted of fried chicken and very salty Smithfield ham. I got the chicken pottage pie, which was pretty good.

Some views of the lunch bunch:

Sandra, Tuula (who hails from Finland), Susana, Sueanne, and Pat:

Blaine (Mr. Biki) and Karen (Biki):

A Virginia gentleman who regaled us during lunch (how do you like his white stockings?):

Gaby, Sandra, and Tuula:

Jamie in the stocks:

Me in the stocks:

You’ll notice that the horses aren’t wearing diapers. The presence of horse dung in the street adds to the verisimilitude of Colonial Williamsburg.

Jenn in what she termed her “dorky” hats:

Colonial Williamsburg has replica houses and many, many shops. One of these was the Sottish Shop where we all dropped some cash and where I saw these cute figures:

Jamie and a Pirates of the Caribbean parrot:

I learned about Chico’s on this trip and have become a fan of this women’s clothing store like Gaby and Karin. 

We spent Friday night watching the HH films Duchess and the Devil and The Wrong War. The movies are viewed in the spirit of The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Mystery Science Theater 3000 with lots of spontaneous and hilarious audience commentary. Those folks wishing to stay up late could watch Life on Mars, a show about a detective who wakes up after a car crash in 1973 instead of 2006 and finds himself assigned to a team run by a brusque DCI played by Philip Glenister (Mr. Hobbs in HH2).

I missed most of the Saturday festivities because I drove to Lynchburg (three hours from Williamsburg to attend the wedding of my daughter Silvia’s brother-in-law Jonny (her husband Nick’s older brother). While I was driving around the Virginia countryside, the rest of my cohorts visited the Mariner’s Museum and watched Mutiny and Retribution with Mr. Bush.

Here are some pics from the wedding:

The bridesmaids and maid-of-honor (my daughter Silvia is at the far left):

Jonny (he was a marine but now is certified as a chef):

His bride Annie and her dad:

I love Annie’s dress:

Mr. and Mrs. Smith:

Me and Silvia:

Annie followed a Vietnamese wedding custom of changing from her wedding dress into another one for the reception:

The tables at the reception had interesting centerpieces consisting of these tall vases filled with water and containing a lily and two goldfish which represent the happy couple. Some folks were taking these home as they left the reception.

I got back late Saturday night to see the last bit of Retribution. I don’t think Mr. Bush was as popular as he was in years past when the Bushbabes were more audible at these showings. But I always enjoy seeing him and squeeing to myself.  People stayed respectfully quiet during Archie Kennedy’s poignant death scene at the end of Retribution, and a few tears were shed.

After this HH film had ended, Stacey showed an interview segment with Ioan Gruffudd that’s on the Collector’s Edition of the Hornblower films. All he could say about Paul was that he was Mr. Cool who breezed in and out of his scenes.  Stacey then asked if we’d like to see how the ODB (Old Dominion Brigade) looks at the cliff scene from Retribution in which Hornblower and Kennedy grab a reluctant Bush and jump off a cliff, while Bush is protesting that he can’t swim. When this scene is viewed in a step-by-step fashion, one can see a bit of Ioan’s anatomy shifting in his form-fitting white pants (the dark blue ones Paul wears are too baggy for such an activity). Anyway, I have a new appreciation for this scene. LOL!

I wasn’t too sleepy on Saturday night and ended up turning on the TV and flipping through the channels. I was amazed to see that Vanderbilt University (the whipping boy of SEC football) had beaten then No. 16 University of Georgia in Athens. I saw Vandy beat UT last year in Knoxville (another mind-boggling occurrence). Sorry for the football aside. 

On Sunday after breakfast we headed to the Yorktown Victory Center, a kind of living museum and not the Yorktown battlefield where Cornwallis surrendered to end the Revolutionary War.

Our guide Eileen Engel showed us a typical farmhouse of the period:

Here’s a guinea fowl:

We saw a contraption used to make soap:

And ventured into the cookhouse with its store of dried foods:

The lady pictured above explained how a cow’s bladder was dried and used to seal jars like this one:

A comb for flax:

The resulting cloth after flax is made into thread and woven:

Here’s a brown chicken (and in Mutiny, Hornblower tells Styles to give the chicken back):

Drying tobacco (a big cash crop for Virginia):

Tending the family garden:

A model of the Stamp Act seal:

And on to Army life. Here’s a tent meant to accommodate six enlisted men:

A roomier officer’s tent with furnishings brought from home:

Where the soldiers’ meals were prepared:

The piled up dirt would be used to fill in the trench when the company moved on.

Eileen also shows us some wicked surgical instruments:

Women who followed their men into battle lived on the outskirts of the camp in lean-tos like this one:

To make money these women could do laundry for the other soldiers at the following prices:

The infamous biscuit:

This gentleman (who looks a bit like Philip Davis of Nice Town and Alien 3) showed us how to operate a musket and explained that the battles were often a big game of chicken to see who would get scared away first:

And some more pics of the attendees:

We chilled at the hotel after leaving the Victory Center and then settled in to watch the last two flicks Loyalty and Duty. The Horatio Hornblower cons provide opportunities for online pals to visit, sightsee, and giggle over the Hornblower films (which I don’t usually watch except when I go to one of these cons). And they’re over so quickly. I learned this year that the Hornblower actors are also invited. As Gaby has said, they’re usually generous and send signed photos. And this year Paul Copley sent CDs with HH2 press photos, while last year he sent this autographed chair:

The organizers of HH2006—Cathy, Stacey, and Rebecca:

Passing the spyglass to the next team organizing an HH con is part of the tradition, and here’s Stacey handing off to Jane:

Next year’s con will be in Halifax, Nova Scotia from September 6-9.

Estelle
Akka

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Surprised Very Happy
Estelle, thank you soooo much for these absolutely gorgeous piccies!
I love watching them, really! Cool Sooo interesting for me, show they such a different country living area! Although so known from some movies!
And to see some members again!
Thanks again! Cool
miss silly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Estelle for sharing. Great pictures and very interesting. Just as Akka says: it is so nice to learn about other countries this way.
Your daughter looks beautiful in that dress.

I often watch (pieces) of the Hornblower films, especially after a busy day. Mutiny and Retribution are my favourites (yes, I do remember that cliff scene Wink ), but I don't watch the end too often, because I hate it to see Archie die.

Sylvia
NimaGraven

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an awesome dress. I'd be tempted to have a sky blue though rather than red Smile.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shipoftheline

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You always take some great pictures Estelle, you have a good eye.

It was really fun spending some time with you guys.

Photoshop resources
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NimaGraven wrote:
That's an awesome dress. I'd be tempted to have a sky blue though rather than red Smile.

The bridesmaid dresses were two-piece, like the ones at my daughter's wedding last May 2005:

But I like blue, too, and found a blue mommy-of-the-bride dress that I liked and that Silvia approved of:

I'm glad you like the pictures, Akka, Sylvia, and Gaby. Smile

Estelle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Water Cooler All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: