The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

General DW discussion, moved from the BBC7 thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Water Cooler
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saphira

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NimaGraven wrote:
Quote:
To be honest, I really don't remember The Twin Dilemma all that well!

Ah, well, let me refresh your memory.

At the beginning of The Twin Dilemma, the Doctor:

Has "one of his fits" as Peri puts it and runs to strangle her believing she's evil. Yay!

Ahh, yes! That one ended up in my mood theme for "predatory" Smile

Quote:
Quote:
And yes, she was whining and packing up all her stuff, but she wasn't serious about it--she was just trying to get his attention, and didn't realize what was going on.

It was definitely really daft for anyone who follows Who.

Indeed.

Quote:
Yeah, indeed, I dig that, I just think sometimes she came off more of a bitch rather than a strong personality... To me there's a big difference in that.

Fair enough. Smile

Quote:
Hehe, indeed, I do think it's a load of crap too Wink.

It's so good to know I'm not alone!

Quote:
Yeah, that's exactly how I thought.

A friend who's brand-new to the show asked me yesterday if there was any good DW smutfic. I managed not to go ballistic on her while still telling her not to mention those words together. Other fandoms, I have no problem, but there are places where DW just shouldn't go, for the good of all involved!

Quote:
It's a bit of a spoiler, but the rumour I heard for season 3 was that:
Martha isn't a willing companion at first.

Ooh, interesting!

Quote:
But we all know that it doesn't mean that eventually we won't have Rose situation.... I mean...:

If they can pretty much have Sarah Jane admitting that she somewhat loved the Doctor in the episode last season then I think it's a shame that maybe all characters might be written this way.... I don't like the Doctor being too much of a Mary Sue. lol.

Oh god. Though, truly, I've never seen the Doctor that way, but I think Rose was the biggest Mary Sue ever to be written into professional television. I didn't get that vibe so much during the first series, but the second....egad. Horrid.

Quote:
We had fun though. We took an hours trip on the Thames, visited the Palace of Westminster and saw the House of Commons. Went to Whitechapel and the War Museum... Also got a chance to see Leicester Square, Picadilly (Which is where I was staying), Harrods and Buckingham Palace.. And that was in 24 hours, so I think I did well lol.

Getting home the next day was a nightmare though, as Formula 1 was at Regent Street so a lot of the tubes got closed down and we had to walk from Picadilly to Park Lane with our luggage to get a coach back to Southport (Which was where I went to college.. I in fact live in a suburb of Liverpool called Crosby.). We didn't get home till about 2am in the morning lol.

Sounds like a great trip, minus the Tube issues! Wink

Quote:
I have no idea what you're talking about! Heck, I've never read Jane Eyre before, but I've only started watching it on TV and the second part is on tonight on bbc1.

I've never read Sense and Sensibility, if it makes you feel any better. Love the movie, though. Go rent it! I'm gonna hvae to find a way to check out Jane Eyre, too.

Quote:
Gr. I know. I just ended up commenting on a friend's journal about how awful season 2 is and the writing in journal. I can see it turning into a whole "You're bashing my idol" thing or something.. lol. But I couldn't resist. I just had to point out he's an asswipe Very Happy.

God, yes.

Quote:
Steven Moffat be the bomb. It's no coincidence that most the episodes he writes are coincidentially the best ones lol.

Absolutely no coincidence whatsoever!

Quote:
Yeah, I think in some ways a lot of Ten's problems have just been really awful writing issues. I hope they fix them too.

Amen. Though, considering who's in charge, I wouldn't hold my breath Sad

Quote:
I read War of the Daleks and it wasn't bad, but it was definitely one of the weaker books I've read so far, along with the Eight Doctors.

I just finished it (hence my delayed post--I wanted to finish it first). I really didn't think it was that bad. I think TED was worse. Of course, my expectations were so low to begin with, it may not have been difficult to please me Wink

Quote:
I've started on Alien Bodies, but I found the first couple of chapters really difficult to settle into (Slow/Poor start maybe?).. Now that Faction Paradox amongst others have turned up on this mystery "Guest list" I'm starting to get into. BTW, Faction Paradox are fantastic. I'd never heard of them before, but I like them already lol.

The Paradox are really interesting, aren't they? I just thought the ideas behind the book are were really original and creative. And I have to confess that one of my favorite images ever is from that book:

The Doctor hauling Quixotl down the corridor by his earlobe.

No idea why it amuses me so much, but it does!

Quote:
I can't wait to read more of the stuff to do with Eight in the books. And YES you are right with the Tractites, I had the same problem! And the moral aspect of the book was brilliant. I'm waiting for a couple of people on ebay to get their finger out and send some stuff I've won (Some dating back to 12/13th september!)... One of them I know is a slow sender from reading the comments, and I've already received one of the books I bought off him... The other one sent me a despatch message last monday and I still haven't received it. I'm going to give it 7 working days before I start enquiring though.

Sounds like a reasonable plan. I am missing a few upcoming books, but am working on getting them. (The great Amass All the EDAs plan has hit a snag in the form of needing to replace my furnace, which ain't cheap, so we'll see how it goes).

Quote:
I've heard of State of Decay, but I still don't like the idea of these mythical characters from a completely different "series" of books being in Who. It just doesn't settle well with me... Don't get me wrong. VS is an incredibly well written book.. And it's also a lot of fun and I really enjoyed it.. I just don't like the topic of Vamps very much Smile.

They're not my favorite, but since the Time Lord war with the Vampires was established way back in the 70s, it predates things like Buffy by...quite a bit. And they've been around longer than series' anyway. But yeah, I am quite happy to see no more of them in Who.

Quote:
Really? That's unfortunate. And yes OG has a huge gay community. The over 18s part of the forum has men judging other men's hairy chests and stuff like that lol. Either that, or the men there are just incredibly open about their sexuality.

Yeah, my experience has been that, at least in groups, gay folks are happy to write off a lot of their compatriots' behavior just because they have that one characteristic in common. Somehow it seems to override the logic you'd apply to anyone else, which I think is really unfortunate and doesn't really do much to boost the collective image (I especially hate it when friends of mine do it, because I want to smack them upside the head for being stupid). :-\

As for OG, I must've managed to miss that part of the board, and I get the feeling I'm not missing much!

Quote:
And sorry for the delay in writing back. I've been doing other things in between applying for jobs and I've not felt like replying, which is really bad of me.. And I've been going out and drinking and generally spending money I don't really have lol.

Oh, and playing video games.

I hope I get a job soon, I'm getting so bored lol.

Aww! I hope something comes through for you soon!
NimaGraven

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saphira wrote:

Ahh, yes! That one ended up in my mood theme for "predatory" Smile

Ahaha Smile. That's a good one. Can you post it here? Smile

Quote:
A friend who's brand-new to the show asked me yesterday if there was any good DW smutfic. I managed not to go ballistic on her while still telling her not to mention those words together. Other fandoms, I have no problem, but there are places where DW just shouldn't go, for the good of all involved!

Each to their own! I think Emay told me "That's what fanfic is for" when you disagree with something that's shown but I think people should probably mark it as an AU and not strictly, purely, Doctor Who Smile.

I happen to agree. Outright smutfic and lemons in any fandom are.. Eegh. I would rather read a romance Smile.

Quote:
Ooh, interesting!

Uh-huh! Yeah! And Billie Piper and Catherine Tate were interviewed on Jonathan Ross on Friday. And Catherine Tate said this about her part in the new Christmas Special:

That her character is basically the Doctor's "rebound" (Honestly, those were her words!) for Rose Tyler and that she only appears in that one episode. Martha does not appear in the Christmas Special though.

And Billie said:

A lot of things basically! A friend of mine asked if I wanted to go meet her at her book signing in Manchester.. But I decided I'd only get jealous of her kissing David Tennant.. Anyhooow Smile... She said that it was more or less time for her to go.. And that there's a rumour of ANOTHER Doctor Who movie and she'd definitely return if she was asked as she loved it and reads the Who magazine and has the subscription. She came across as a really lovely girl.

Quote:
Oh god. Though, truly, I've never seen the Doctor that way, but I think Rose was the biggest Mary Sue ever to be written into professional television. I didn't get that vibe so much during the first series, but the second....egad. Horrid.

Haha. Indeed. I hated how arrogant she got, especially with the whole:

Taunting the Daleks over the Cybermen and the Doctor as if she was indestructible because she travelled with the Doctor. The funny thing is, people complain that in the EDA's Sam Jones is far too prone to stupid mistakes. So are people basically admitting they prefer Mary Sues?

Quote:
Sounds like a great trip, minus the Tube issues! Wink

Yeah. I think a few people got stuck because of the tube closing down. We nearly did and it was murder getting off at Picadilly. I'd give my right hand to go to London again and at least stay there for a week. It was fantastic, and not as expensive as people were making out although I can imagine cost of living is different to a "holiday".

Quote:
I've never read Sense and Sensibility, if it makes you feel any better. Love the movie, though. Go rent it! I'm gonna hvae to find a way to check out Jane Eyre, too.

Oh, you really do need to see Jane Eyre. Especially the one just aired. I believe it strays from the book and modernises it a bit but I looked over the book after I watched it and I didn't think it really "bastardised" it too much....

Robin Hood on BBC1, however.... Lets not start on that.

By the way, Toby Stephens is a FINE Rochester Smile.

Quote:
God, yes.

Haha! Yes. Fortunately, I managed to get her to remove me from her friend's list as she was having a clear out and I made a bunch of excuses for not posting anything really good (Which at the moment, I'm not. I'm working on a contributory blog over on BlogSpot for Reviews of everything and anything.) I tend to just post videos of the Nintendo Wii. I know. I'm a nerd. I even have a countdown for it.

Quote:
Absolutely no coincidence whatsoever!

You've not seen Torchwood yet! Me and my friend are convinced that anyone BUT RTD would be good writing it... lol. It's terrible. I won't go into it, but I already started a thread for when you're ready *Plug plug Very Happy*

Quote:
Amen. Though, considering who's in charge, I wouldn't hold my breath Sad

I'm definitely not. Smile

Quote:
I just finished it (hence my delayed post--I wanted to finish it first). I really didn't think it was that bad. I think TED was worse. Of course, my expectations were so low to begin with, it may not have been difficult to please me Wink

Totally agree with you. It's a little bit muddled. Has a retcon. And in general it isn't too hot, but it's nowhere near as much as a disaster as TED is. I'm currently up to Option Lock and I didn't think Kursaal was as bad as everyone claimed it was (Except, perhaps for the ending). I've sort of put my reading on hold at the moment because of the lack fo money issue and the fact that Legacy of the Daleks is standing in my way....

Quote:
The Paradox are really interesting, aren't they? I just thought the ideas behind the book are were really original and creative. And I have to confess that one of my favorite images ever is from that book:

The Doctor hauling Quixotl down the corridor by his earlobe.

No idea why it amuses me so much, but it does!

Yep. The Faction are fantastic.. And I absolutely LOVE that bit. I love how:

Goosepimply the Doctor gets over his own coffin. It's such a fantastic book in so many ways. The ending is so terribly poignant and sad... And very, very creepy.

Quote:
Sounds like a reasonable plan. I am missing a few upcoming books, but am working on getting them. (The great Amass All the EDAs plan has hit a snag in the form of needing to replace my furnace, which ain't cheap, so we'll see how it goes).

The book got lost in the post! I contacted the guy and he happily sent out a replacement though. It made my day so at least he was decent enough to send another one out.

I don't understand how anything can get lost in the post though. That's the first time it's ever happened to me in my life and I buy countless stuff off the inter tubes Smile.

Quote:
They're not my favorite, but since the Time Lord war with the Vampires was established way back in the 70s, it predates things like Buffy by...quite a bit. And they've been around longer than series' anyway. But yeah, I am quite happy to see no more of them in Who.

Yeah. To be honest, Buffy really didn't come into my mind when reading Vampire Science because I realised that it predated Buffy by about a year or so but they're definitely not my favourite. It feels like they should just remain in horror stories. However, you get Werewolves AND Vampires in J. K. Rowling's efforts... And they're not exactly horror stories. I guess, they're being relegated to just "good old mythical creatures that can be used anywhere."

Quote:
Yeah, my experience has been that, at least in groups, gay folks are happy to write off a lot of their compatriots' behavior just because they have that one characteristic in common. Somehow it seems to override the logic you'd apply to anyone else, which I think is really unfortunate and doesn't really do much to boost the collective image (I especially hate it when friends of mine do it, because I want to smack them upside the head for being stupid). :-\

I have a close friend that's gay and we have the greatest nights out ever lol... He isn't like this, but I do know some guys that are so I can understand your frustrations. I think all through life there's labels that are applied to people for whatever reason and they act the same way when it's something that relates to them directly.. If you know what I mean.. So I don't think it's just gays in that respect.

Quote:
As for OG, I must've managed to miss that part of the board, and I get the feeling I'm not missing much!

Oh, believe me, you're not. There's some lovely people on there though! There's some real die-hard snots though Smile I can think of one I read on my first night on there and I wasn't even replying/posting to him it was just a random thread I read.

Quote:
Aww! I hope something comes through for you soon!

Thanks. So annoying though. I had an interview last Thursday and got a phone call on Friday that told me I didn't get the job. However, if you had heard the entire phone call, you would have thought they were hiring me as apparently my IT test was fine and so was my interview... So they were phoning me because "they didn't think it was fair just to give me a letter of rejection after putting in a good interview like that" Basically, I was being told I was second best.

What a bummer! I would have preferred outright rejection!

Anyways, sorry about not writing much here as of late... I've kinda neglected here. I shouldn't do that. I've been playing way too many video games to pass the time. I'm a bit of a nerd that way and I know when and if I ever marry I'll probably own more video games than my husband.. I've been playing them since I was little!!

*Addict*
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Water Cooler All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: