The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adventures of a bobblehead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Gushatorium
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Adventures of a bobblehead Reply with quote

Last year Grace White created some cute and funny images using pics of my silly Paulie bobblehead and screencaps from the Hornblower flicks. She's given me permission to repost them.

Estelle
Tallulah-Belle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee that Bobblehead certainly gets around..... Wink

Love the pics!
shipoftheline

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tallulah-Belle wrote:
Gee that Bobblehead certainly gets around..... Wink

The funnier thing is that the Bobbleheads (there are three of them) DO get around. LOL!!

Photoshop resources
Tallulah-Belle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three Paul Bobbleheads? Can the world handle it?

So where did these Bobbleheads come from? Are they of Paul from HH?
shipoftheline

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tallulah-Belle wrote:
So where did these Bobbleheads come from? Are they of Paul from HH?

Estelle had them made from some photos she took at Chicago Tardis in '04. The members of the Library pitched in and got Paul a Chicago Bears jacket with the words "Who 8" on the back for his birthday. So the Bobbleheads are wearing their "Who 8" jackets. LOL!!

I believe Estelle kept one, Paul is supposed to have another one and Estelle gave the third one to either Jason Haigh-Ellery or Gary Russell from Big Finish at Gallifrey '05.

I have shared a room with a Boblehead (and Estelle) many a time during our travels. LOL!!

Photoshop resources
Tallulah-Belle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is AWESOME!!! I'm sure Paul appreciated such a gift, but to be able to share a room with the Bobblehead itself.... well.... I'm sure the skies opened up and there was light and angel song... oh man, my mind went into overdrive!
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Gaby said, there were originally three Paulie bobblehead dolls. I wanted to give Gary Russell of Big Finish a McGann bobblehead doll as a gag gift at Gallifrey 2005. I got the idea after he remarked at ChicagoTARDIS 2004 that Paul was only worth 37 cents when I showed him a sheet of US stamps with Paul's picture on them:

I was giving Paul the stamps as a birthday present.

Anyway I got three bobbleheads made because there was a bit of a discount. Although I ordered them from an American company, they were produced in Mexico. Here's the trio:

And on the back, you can see the Who 8:

The one I gave to Gary got to sit at the head of the table during a chitchat about Big Finish at Gally:

When Jason Haigh-Ellery suggested that I give Paul a bobblehead saying he'd love it, I felt that wasn't such a great idea. However, when I was in Portsmouth last October for a Horatio Hornblower convention, I met up with Suz Macey who was visiting for the day and had the harebrained idea to ask her if she'd be willing to give Paul the bobblehead for me at the upcoming Ascension Doctor Who convention in Cardiff. I was pleasantly surprised when she agreed and gave her the doll and a card for Paul.

She sent me the following pictures. The first shows him opening the envelope of the card I'd written.

This second is a close-up to show the card is really from me. Smile

The next two show him posing with the dolly.

Back at the old Library, someone had posted a picture of him gazing at the back of the doll, and I hoped that he might have recalled something of ChicagoTARDIS. I didn't save that picture when I had the chance, and it's since disappeared. I was kinda expecting him to peek inside the gift bag, say ugh, and then pass the lot to con organizer Heather Amos to dispose of.

I have one remaining bobblehead, which my husband says is still one too many. LOL!

Estelle
miss silly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had seen the pictures of the bobblehead, but not those Suzanne has made. they're great. Thanks for posting them. I love the story behind it Smile .

Sylvia
Tallulah-Belle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Pics Estelle! Thanks. I think it was a gift that most would not think of making or going through the trouble of it.
Down East

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Adventures of Bob-Paul.
Those bobble head pics are very, very silly in all incarnations and make me smile whenever I see them.
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tallulah-Belle wrote:
Cool Pics Estelle! Thanks. I think it was a gift that most would not think of making or going through the trouble of it.

Thanks. Smile Teri originally found the people who could make customized bobblehead dolls (see http://whoopassenterprises.com/) and made the suggestion that we give one to Paul at ChicagoTARDIS 2004. However, we weren't sure how the doll should be attired. Anyway, we opted for the Chicago Bears jacket, and she got Who 8 put on it.

Here's a pic of Teri with the jacket:

And one of Paul showing off the back:

Anyway, I thought having a doll dressed the way Paul was at CT would be cute.

Estelle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Gushatorium All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: