The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PAST DOCTORS FUTURES from DWM #371 (19 July 2006)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Water Cooler
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: PAST DOCTORS FUTURES from DWM #371 (19 July 2006) Reply with quote

Three new Tenth Doctor novels confirmed--but what of the PDA range?

THREE NEW DOCTOR WHO NOVELS
featuring the Tenth Doctor and Rose have been confirmed for September. These are The Nightmare of Black Island by Mike Tucker, The Art of Destruction by Stephen Cole and THe Price of Paradise by Colin Brake. Also coming in October is a new range from the BBC Penguin division, under the umbrella title The Doctor Who Files. There are four volumes in the set--featuring the Doctor, Rose, the Slitheens and the Sycorax.

Meanwhile DWM also spoke to BBC Books's Justin Richards to ask about the future of the Doctor Who novels range, particularly for the Doctor's past incarnations.

Hi, Justin. What can you tell us about the future BBC Books' long-running paperback series of 'previous Doctor adventures'? The range seemed to just fade away with a whimper after Andrew Carmel's Atom Bomb Blues last December...

Yes, the question is still there of what we do with the past Doctor books. The intention is not just to leave it there, it's a question of 'what' we do with them, not 'if' we're going to do something with them. There will be more 'past Doctor' books, but when and how and in what format and how many and where does the Ninth Doctor fit...all these issues need to be sorted out, and they're not something you can fudge.

Presumably, if you were to relaunch in the near future, you'd have to revise your views on who your market is now compared to say, five years ago?

Very much so. However kind you want to be to the past Doctor novels, and however good you think the ones in the latter part of last year were--the fact remains that the books based on the current TV series have outsold them by a factor of ten. And we couldn't let that go on--we need to find some way of bringing those books to a wider audience. But there's no point in just doing clones of the new series books with old Doctors in, because each past Doctor is distinctive. If the 'past Doctors' range has an overall failing in the past, it's that we didn't distinguish the Doctors enough. We hadn't had a distinctive 'brand' for each Doctor...

Is this something you're actively thinking about, or just idle speculation?

I'm waiting for someone to tell me where we go next! I've said my piece--what I think we should do and in what format, how many we should do, and, up to a point, who should do them. So we'll see. We're expecting further developments very soon and DWM readers will be the first to hear what's planned!

[The above doesn't sound particularly encouraging to me. Of interest is Tennant doing tallking Doctor Who books on CD. I'd love to hear more McGann solo readings.]

Estelle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Water Cooler All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: