The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A solemn post

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Water Cooler
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rollyb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: A solemn post Reply with quote

I posted this in my LJ yesterday but I thought I would post it here also:

I opened my TV during the supper hour to watch the news. To my horror, I saw there was another mass shooting at a school, this time at Dawson College in Montreal. From last reports, one student was confirmed dead, as well as the young gunman, and about 20 others were injured(some of them critical).

It brings me back memories to another trageday, the shooting at Ecole Polytechnique in Montreal which occured approximately 16 years ago. A lone gunman, Marc Lepine, went on a shooting rampage and killed 14 student(all of them women) and injured many others. He left a suicide message saying that he hated and blamed feminists, for they were reason his application to attend this Engineering school was refused.
I was approximately in the same age group as these students, as I was finishing my post secondary studies at the time. My feelings were, if it happened to them, it can happen to anyone, anywhere.

Sixteen years later, another similar tragedy occurs......

As I reflect upon the events which occured today, it makes me think....A school should be one of the safest places a child should be besides their own home. How sad is it that the promise of a new school year for these bright young students should begin like this.......

My thoughts and prayers go out to all of the families and friends of these injured students(and to the parents of the young woman that perished a short while ago) and especially to all of their classmates who will have to cope with the memories of this tragedy. My hope is that they eventually find the strengh and will(with the help of their loved ones and friends) to continue their studies despite everything that has occured today.

Rollande
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These awful shootings are reminiscent of what happened at Columbine High Shool in Littleton, Colorado back in 1999. It's all horrid.

Estelle
Tallulah-Belle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this too and felt such sadness. I know these lives are not easy, and we can all feel a level of such anger at times, but to give into it in such a manner is just scary.

I know what you mean about thinking that schools are suppose to be safe for kids. It just makes me sick to my stomach to seriously question this. What to do? How do we protect kids?

I hope those involved find confort and heal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Water Cooler All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: