The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrsCake

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Hello! Reply with quote

Well, hey there everyone. Just thought I'd stop by, pay my respects in the intro thread since I've spent two days staring in fangirly awe at your photogalleries. I first saw, or rather heard, McGann in the 8th Doctor Audios and I've been hooked ever since. The most recent thing I've seen him in is 'Our Mutual Friend' which resulted in a huge Dickens-Crush on Eugene.

Speaking of, I hate to ask favors before I've even done anything of use, but does anyone know how I can get in touch with PaulGirl, or alternatively, know if her Our Mutual Friend novella 'The Abiding Heart' is archieved anywhere? I saw her mention it in the Fanart thread, and I'd love to read it, but as far as I can tell it's nowhere to be found.
shipoftheline

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard MrsCake!

Paul does have that beautiful voice that carries one away, doesn't he? You are in for a treat when you watch some of the other stuff Paul has done.

I don't know how often Paulgirl comes around, but you can try sending her a PM to ask her your question.

Photoshop resources
Saphira

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello! Reply with quote

MrsCake wrote:
Well, hey there everyone. Just thought I'd stop by, pay my respects in the intro thread since I've spent two days staring in fangirly awe at your photogalleries. I first saw, or rather heard, McGann in the 8th Doctor Audios and I've been hooked ever since. The most recent thing I've seen him in is 'Our Mutual Friend' which resulted in a huge Dickens-Crush on Eugene.

Hi there! Welcome!! Wow, it seems we have a lot in common (aside from the obvious)--not only do I also live in NJ (near Princeton), but my most recent feature in my PM Film Festival (yes, this is what I've devoted my summer vacation to!) was OMF! I loved it so much that not only will I end up buying a copy, but I just found myself a lovely edition of the book from 1907 in a used bookstore, and am very excited. I hated reading Dickens in school, but this production has inspired me to give him one more try. ::fingers crossed::

(How you could possibly finish OMF without falling for Eugene is absolutely beyond me! Though I was amused to see that this book's list of characters describes him as "a briefless barrister, of a gloomy, indolent, and unambitious nature.")

Whereabouts are you in NJ, if you don't mind me asking?
Akka

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome from me too! Greetings from Germany! Cool
MrsCake

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I loved it so much that not only will I end up buying a copy, but I just found myself a lovely edition of the book from 1907 in a used bookstore, and am very excited. I hated reading Dickens in school, but this production has inspired me to give him one more try. ::fingers crossed::

Oh, they *never* give you the right things to read in school. Our Mutual Friend is an absolutely fantastic read. They it's always give you things like Oliver Twist and David Copperfield for class. I want to drop-kick Oliver. It's impossible to connect with the too-noble-to-live heroes in any real way. And I admit that even though I *love* reading Dickens. Our Mutual Friend, on the other hand has beautiful characterization, it's incredibly funny, and Eugene would probably make Nicholas Nickleby cry.

Quote:
Though I was amused to see that this book's list of characters describes him as "a briefless barrister, of a gloomy, indolent, and unambitious nature.")

Heh, and that's why I lurve him. He's like all my friends.

Quote:
Whereabouts are you in NJ, if you don't mind me asking?

Not at all! I'm in Bergen County, town called Dumont.

Quote:
Hello and welcome from me too! Greetings from Germany!

Hullo! Very nice to meet you!

Last edited by MrsCake on Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Saphira

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsCake wrote:
Oh, they *never* give you the right things to read in school. Our Mutual Friend is an absolutely fantastic read. They never give you the right things to read in school, it's always like, Oliver Twist and David Copperfield. I want to drop-kick Oliver. It's impossible to connect with the too-noble-to-live heroes in any real way. And I admit that even though I *love* reading Dickens. Our Mutual Friend, on the other hand has beautiful characterization, it's incredibly funny, and Eugene would probably make Nicholas Nickleby cry.

I teach English as a Second Language at a local private school, and one of my courses is a support class for the regular English course. I HATE the stuff I have to teach. Part of it is because I'm just sick of all the books, and part of it is because they've picked the most depressing things they can find and put them all into one course. If the intent is to make sure kids don't want to read, they're doing a fabulous job. I certainly understand wanting kids to read classics that they probably won't read on their own, but surely there are better choices.

In any case, I'm glad to hear your thoughts on reading OMF--looking forward to it even more now! Smile
Down East

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome,

So glad to have you here. Will be happy to hear what you think about PM's other works when you get to them in the review section.

There's nothing like a PM festival for first timers, and for revisiting some of the films and shows you haven't seen in a long time, too.

Eugene was a wonderful role, a wonderful character and brilliantly played by Paul. It's one of his very best IMO.

I like OMF perhaps best of all the Dickens I've read, though I do like David Copperfield when I read it as a youngster. Dickens is very good with plot and character. But I do love his flawed characters who are tested to the ultimate, like Eugene.
miss silly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a belated welcome from the Netherlands. Smile

A PM festival is one of the best things you can do indeed, there is so much to explore.
I hope you discover all the treasuries of this library and that you have a good time!

Sylvia
Rollyb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belated hellos Mrs Cake!! Very Happy

Paul's audios are addictive aren't they??? Wink
Rollande Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Introductions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: