The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sleeping Murder TV-movie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrsBush

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: Sleeping Murder TV-movie Reply with quote

Hello everybody Laughing

you know that Paul McGann is in Germany nearly unknown. Therefore I am very happy that some other Paul-Fans sent me some movies with Paul for me. Sure - as a German I had to repeat some scenes to understand all, but it was so interesting to see him playing different parts (mostly mysterios parts in my opinion).

As the weather in Germany is rainy and cold after the big heatwave here I have seen a few movies in the last few weeks - for example "Forgotten" and Cathrine the Great (which are - thanks Akka - the only 2 movies in german language, so I miss his great voice!) Also I have seen "Blood Strangers", "Sweet Revenge" (which was great!), "Kidnapped" (this one I liked not so much, not because of his small part, but in this case I prefer the older american version with Peter Finch and James MacArthur, which I have seen several times in german TV), "Sea of Souls" (which was also good, but I sometimes can't understand the scottish slang), "The Biographer" and "Sad Cypress" and "Sleeping Murder" which I both loved (as I am an old Agatha Christie-fan - especially the movies with Margreth Rutherford!). It was strange to see him with dark glasses (in the Biographer) and the eyepatch (in Sleeping Murder) which makes him look so severe - but nevertheless I would take him, hahahaha drool
as he is such a talented actor and good looking man!!! Embarassed

Since I am joining your nice and kind Fan-Club (thanks to Estelle, Madga and Teri again!!! Laughing ) I have seen Paul the first time as a younger man. But I prefer the - up to date - Paul. As you all surely know some people look better the older they get - for example Sean Connery!!!

I would be so glad if they would continue the Hornblower-series - as I like Paul most in playing the part of Mr. Bush!!! drool drool
Perhaps because it was the first time I have seen him there Wink Wink
I know that the british Filmcompany don't want to make new parts because of the expensive costs. But if I would own a movie company I would make it public to search for private Sponsors or something like that!
As you know there are sooooooo many Hornblower-Fans all over the world and I am sure (!!!), there would be enough wealthy people or perhaps companies too who would be interested to continue this series!!!!!!
I would do it if I would be a millionaire (and I also would insist on writing a Mrs. Bush-part for myself Wink Wink drool Laughing Embarassed
- you could be sure of that!!!) Laughing

I hope one of the moviemakers will read this and will make this proposal to the moviecompany!!!

Bye for now, Petra Laughing n
Down East

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Sleeping Murder TV-movie Reply with quote

[quote: I know that the british Filmcompany don't want to make new parts because of the expensive costs. But if I would own a movie company I would make it public to search for private Sponsors or something like that!
As you know there are sooooooo many Hornblower-Fans all over the world and I am sure (!!!), there would be enough wealthy people or perhaps companies too who would be interested to continue this series!!!!!!
I would do it if I would be a millionaire (and I also would insist on writing a Mrs. Bush-part for myself Wink Wink drool Laughing Embarassed

I hope one of the moviemakers will read this and will make this proposal to the moviecompany!!![/quote]

I so agree with you, Petra! There is a dedicated group of viewers of Hornblower around the world, and many of them, in addition to many non-Hornblower fans watch everything "seafaring" and many others will watch who are not even martitime enthusiasts. These films are pretty (beautiful ships, beautiful men, beautiful clothes), it's exciting, romantic and fun. Lets you dream about life at sea in another time. But yes, expensive to make. However, I often see many history show docu-dramas made with tall ships and historic costumes. Question They must be as expensive to make--at least with ships and costumes. The only thing missing is a good story and fine acting. Makes me wonder why they can't make more Hornblower films. Sad

I am very glad that there are more German fans who will get to know Paul. I'd like to see Paul work with fine German directors like Werner Herzog and Wolfgang Peterson!! That would be very cool! If they showed it on German TV, then German audiences would get to know Paul much better. (Many people who never saw any Herzog films before, recently got to see Herzog's Grizzly Man on Discovery Channel TV.) He's so cool!

I also wish translations (dubb and subtitles) on dvds would include more languages than French/Spanish. I'd like to see them include....German and Japanese. It's probably time for them to include Chinese too!
MrsBush

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Movietranslations..... Reply with quote

I know how difficult it is to get a movie with Paul here in Germany and I would also appreciate if they would send more Paul-films in German TV. But I have to say I am sure I would not like the german translation as Paul has got a wonderful voice - it would get lost. But I agree with you it would be necessary for foreigner if all english movies has got german and english subtitles - some things would be easier to understand - especially when a few speak slang. And for me as a German it is sometimes better to see and hear the english words at once - you know what I mean?
But nevertheless I watch all Paul movies and as I don't understand all I have to repeat and repeat and repeat and that is a good opportunity to see him as much as I can..... But I am very glad to hear that some others has got the same problems as myself (to understand all), because first I thought I am soooooooo stupid Wink

Bye for now, Petra
miss silly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would be so glad if they would continue the Hornblower-series - as I like Paul most in playing the part of Mr. Bush!!!

I agree Laughing It is the first film I ever saw him in and it is still one of my favorites. But I am afraid it isn't going to happen (unless some miljonair PMG-fan reads your post).

I think you will like Withnail and I, though he is very young in there. He looks great, he acts great (as do the other actors) and it is a funny film.

I am glad there are now more fans on the European continent! With how many are we? One in Belgium, one in Poland, three or four in Germany and two in Holland (I gues Molly H is stil a fan, though she isn't much around). We have a long way to go Wink

Quote:
also wish translations (dubb and subtitles) on dvds would include more languages than French/Spanish

I agree. I think every DVD should have subtitles. I sometimes buy English films with subtitles fot the hearing impaired, so I won't miss anything. And I like to watch an English (or American) movie with french or german subtitles or with english subtitels while they speak french or spanish. It is so nice to listen to other languages.

Sylvia
Down East

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>And for me as a German it is sometimes better to see and hear the english words at once - you know what I mean?

True, true. With subtitles, there is the translation into other languages and that is pretty good. I like that.

So much better than dubs so you can hear the real actors' voices, and Paul's voice is so...... Wink Dubs are usually, funny sounding.

Sometimes on a big expensive movie, the directors have the actors make an audio track in another language. Not very often, though.
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Sleeping Murder TV-movie Reply with quote

MrsBush wrote:
...or example "Forgotten" and Cathrine the Great (which are - thanks Akka - the only 2 movies in german language, so I miss his great voice!)

I thought the actor who dubbed Paul's part in Catherine the Great sounded amazingly like him.

Quote:
I have seen Paul the first time as a younger man. But I prefer the - up to date - Paul.

I like him at any age, Petra. Smile

Quote:

I'd do that, too--that is, commissioning more Hornblower flicks but not acting in them myself (which would be a recipe for failure). Smile

Estelle
Akka

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Sleeping Murder TV-movie Reply with quote

[quote="emay"]
MrsBush wrote:
...or example "Forgotten" and Cathrine the Great (which are - thanks Akka - the only 2 movies in german language, so I miss his great voice!)

I thought the actor who dubbed Paul's part in Catherine the Great sounded amazingly like him.
--------------------------
Me thinks the same, as I saw CTG first time I realized Paul WITH that dubbed voice! It suits him, I think, the best for a German voice and I know who dubbed him: Michael Roll, look here:
http://www.djfl.de/entertainment/stars/m/michael_roll.html

And for the "only" tow movies from Paul I must correct you Petra:
there are also Fairy Tales and Alien3 to get here with him! Wink

I agree also with Estelle, I like him in any age! Cool

But I also agree if I would be a millionaire, I sooooo would spend the money for sending Hornblower finally here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Films All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: