The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

And my holiday in France

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Photo Album
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miss silly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: And my holiday in France Reply with quote

The last week of june I have had my annual dose of France. We have had no rain, for the first time in years, so the camping was delightfull. It is one of the finest things in the world: to wake up in your tent and be outside immediately. Very Happy

I have some pictures for you. We went to Normandie, in the region of Dieppe. The D-day beaches are more south. The beaches we saw where just bays in the cliffs. No invasion would have succeeded there.

Fishermen selling oysters and other shellfish near the beach:

The white cliffs (the same as in England). At the end of the week we were just south of Calais and there we could see the English cliffs.

A small village, preparing for the holiday season

A French cow Very Happy

Just some seagulls

These signs warn the tourists

The cliffs at Etretat. They are amazing:

Some baby seagulls at a high cliff at Etretat

We camped in the park of this castle (at the city of Eu)

And this is the centre of Eu, where we had lunch

It was a great week. I was with a friend who was just as tired as I was, so we decided to do as little as possible. We went to the beach for hours, walked to some villages to explore them and when we were tired of one place we moved to the next. It is just a six hour cardrive from where I live, so it is easy to go back. We enjoyed the food a lot: we have had more than our share of fruits the mer, fish and other delicious food.
We enjoyed the beaches too. I live near the sea, but the Dutch beaches are different. We have dunes and no cliffs, for instance.
And of course we were waiting for this to happen, but alas.....nothing happened.

Sylvia
Teri

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get an annual dose of France?? You must be very healthy, Slyv. Surprised This definitely looks like Hornblower 'country'! (Maybe you were just on the wrong beach for that little extravaganza at the end there... Wink )

Eu looks absolutely charming. I'd never want to leave there! What does the name mean, btw?

Thank you also for this gorgeousness--what would I do without Sylvia--personal 'travel guide' to the 'afraid to fly' set. Confused
Down East

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Sylvia

Those are absolutely amazing pictures. The cliffs.....like a dream landscape! I am sure I've seen these shores and cliffs filmed in movies.
The villages, the boats, ahhh...it sets the mind to imagining wonderful things.

The last pic (Lt Bush and company) really helped, too! Would love to see such a sight. Imagine if you were camping near the beach, and you look outside your tent in the evening...and there he is....
miss silly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You get an annual dose of France??

When possible... Smile It is not very far from where I live. When there is not much traffic it takes about three hours, a bit more perhaps, to drive to Lille, one of the most northern French cities. And then it takes about an hour to drive to Calais. The last place where we stayed this year was a small village at the coast, near Calais. The distance between France and England is very small there. It was a sunny day, but the sky wasn't very clear. We could see pieces of the English white cliffs though.

Quote:
Thank you also for this gorgeousness--what would I do without Sylvia--personal 'travel guide' to the 'afraid to fly' set

You're welcome Smile I like to share them with my fellow librarians. I feel the same when you post pictures: I can see places where I probably never will come. I intend to sort out my photos this year ( I have tons of them, in two plastic bags.. Crying or Very sad ), so I'll see what else I have to post. I have some nice ones of Gent, in Belgium.

And I have no idea what Eu means. My tourist guide doesn't mention a meaning of this name. Only that William the conqueror married there and that Queen Victoria has stayed in this castle Smile

Quote:
The cliffs.....like a dream landscape! I am sure I've seen these shores and cliffs filmed in movies.

I know painters and writers like Monet and Victor Hugo were inspired by this place, so I am sure directors were too.

Quote:
Imagine if you were camping near the beach, and you look outside your tent in the evening...and there he is....

I would invite this lieutenant to rest a bit and have some wine and food, for he must be very tired after his journey. And no, of course I don't mind him to sleep a bit....I have plenty of room in my tent and the sound of the small waves on the pebbles at the beach makes you sleep very sound...
and of course he can wait at my place untill his boat is repaired....

mmm, I have to get back.

Sylvia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: