The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Favorite Pics
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Miscellaneous photos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrsBush

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Denise,

your photos of Paul are great!!!

As I only know him as Lt. Bush it was interesting to see him in different ages. He is a good looking man, but I prefer Paul today - not the younger one.

Hope you will soon show us further pics!

Very Happy
Petra
Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou Denise and OMG!!

I haven,t seen this picture of all the boys together before....

I know most of you are Paul fans but I've got to say, Joe and Stephen are looking good!

Thanks for the photos, all of you!

Michelle xx
Down East

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few of my favorite pics that Estelle recently capped and posted,
from Lie With Me

And these from If I Had You

Wouldn't it be nice to look outside at the pines and maples, and see.....Oh my dear Lord, look whose coming over for a visit today!

The serious Lt Bush look, ready to growl at any moment.

Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: copyright Reply with quote

Is there any copyright law for screencaps? How do you do screencapping? Am thinking some of these, particularly the first one, Rolling Eyes would be great on the site in their picture galleries - could someone give me info on legalities of this sort of stuff?

Thanks, Michelle

Promise to try and put more stuff up here when the website is published. Have found lots of stuff from The Monocled Mutineer, interviews etc and from 'Give us a Break' - which I watched pre-Paul days! - which I think you guys might like.
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: copyright Reply with quote

Michelle wrote:
Is there any copyright law for screencaps?

I've read that non-profit use of screencaps on the internet constitutes fair use of copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Law. You'll find screencaps on many fan websites, including www.pmeb.org, which also has the status as an official website for Paul. Perhaps Des, our resident lawyer (albeit an arson attorney in practice) can weigh in on this matter.

Quote:
How do you do screencapping?

You use a computer program like WinDVD which lets you watch the DVD on your comp and pause it whenever you like in order to capture a frame. This program is easy to use and shows you which caps you've done. The latter are saved to a folder called Capture on your hard drive. The images usually need a little tweaking with photoshop. I've used the latter to sharpen, brighten up, and reduce image size for posting.

Quote:
Promise to try and put more stuff up here when the website is published. Have found lots of stuff from The Monocled Mutineer, interviews etc and from 'Give us a Break' - which I watched pre-Paul days! - which I think you guys might like.

What fun!! I recently got two DVDs from eBay with seven episodes of GUAB and the movie. I'd only seen six episodes previously.

Estelle
Down East

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>fair use of copyrighted material<

That's the key issue. Fair use.

Remember, the web is still like the wild, wild west.
The law and the railroad hasn't settled this territory yet.
Hard to govern.

Back to Fair use.

For example: if someone making a movie, documentary, or publishing a book or a magazine, they wish to sell for profit wants to use a copyrighted image or even a quote of some work...they are required to get permission from the owner and pay the cost for use because they're going to sell their work and try to make a profit, in the end.

In independent low budget, made documentaries, for example, where they use a lot of archival film footage, or stills, and use quotations from works that are not in the public domain and have to get the material from museums or archives or wherever, they still have to get permission from the copyright owner. That's usually not too much of a problem, when it's considered a non profit educational work of that sort. Most of those organizations just ask that you get their permission and that you acknowledge their organization in the credits. They might require a small fee, too.

As far as screencaps for fan sites go, as long as there's no profit or money being made--it still falls under fair use. Fan sites are usually not in the business of making money or profits. The powers that be are not filing lawsuits at this time because there's no technology or law in place to pursue such an endevour. (The NFL is very, very strict about use of any of their images, by the way. That's what I heard.)

There may come a time when the technology is in place, and "smart enough" to detect who is using what screencap--by--I don't know--holographic or digital image identification or electronic watermarks of someone's face or something! Pixel by pixel. Or electronic watermarks preventing screencaps being made. And if and when that time comes, they'll most certainly change the copyright laws regarding the legal definition of fair use to crack down on all the sighing fan girls--and boys.

It's going to be quite a task to get such technology in place in order to police it, and right now, they can't police every fansite on the world wide web.

You can see I find this an interesting topic.

I heard a show on Public Radio where these guys from MIT or somewhere were trying to create another--separate internet. One that is specifically for educational & research and purposes--to keep it separate from the other junk and purposes. That's what this web was initially created for. They said they're working on it but that at the earliest, it's ten years away.

Last edited by Down East on Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for this info. I've managed to track down several unsuspecting photographers to ask permission for using their photos on the site - so far everyone's been really kind and just asked for a link. I wasn't sure if I needed to ask but figured it's best not to upset people if I don't need to especially cos I'm doing it for the boys and it's in their name - that's probably helped when I've asked for permission!
Paulgirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooo, is that a bit of silver I detect at that lovely temple? Very dashing and sexy, not so, erm, *unnaturally* dark. Not that I would infer that Paul perhaps makes use of a rinse now and them. Not me, no sir. Rolling Eyes

"Just a minute, mate. I'm talkin' to Paulgirl."

Denise
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Miscellaneous photos All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: