The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gypo pics (larger versions of a few screencaps I like)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Miscellaneous photos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Gypo pics (larger versions of a few screencaps I like) Reply with quote

I like the way these pics look in their original size, especially the second one:

However, I resized the Gypo caps for posting, so they wouldn't take forever to load up.

Estelle
Down East

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Estelle, these three are indeed my favorites three also, so far.
I know exactly what you mean. They just "get" to you!

He practically has a moustache grown in! It's just the right amount of stubbly.

WOOF!

Nice cinematography from what I can see. They caught him just the right way, the expressions Paul gives tells a lot about the character, without even seeing the movie! I wonder if it was a handheld camera? I know they are supposed to use natural lighting and not big flood lights to be adhering to Dogme rules. I need to use a tripod, because I can't keep the camera still when I'm filming, unless I can lean on something.
Down East

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you don't mind my playing with these! I wanted to see if these could be opened up a little more. They are very moody pics and beautiful that way because they used such low---natural lighting. When you open them up, they start to loose what makes them what they are. They loose the contrast in the shadows and the overall color tone, which is part of what makes them so dramatic.

I like your originals better, but...because I like these so much, I couldn't resist trying.

This first one, I couldn't get the color to balance out to a neutral.

And to see what it looked like in Black and White...
Akka

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drool Itīs 7.30 am here and I needed that! Wink
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down East wrote:
I hope you don't mind my playing with these!

Of course not!! I really like the black and white rendition and think a lot of those caps would look good in B&W. Sometimes I've lightened up the caps or decreased the contrast a bit. I haven't tried to adjust the color balance, because my results with other photos has been very poor.

Estelle
Down East

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Color correction is tricky stuff. There's a theory to it.
The Color Theory of additive and subtractive colors.
You know, the opposite of red is green, the opposite of yellow is blue kind of thing.

Most of my caps need lightening, I find.

That's the first thing I do so that I can then see what kind of color cast I'm working with under all that darkness.

I never use the Lighten/Darken Tool. Hardly ever. The overall lighten/darken tool lightens or darkens EVERYTHING all in one full sweep from highlights to shadows. And you don't really want that, it makes a pic less contrasty, with less definition. There's less control.

For overall lightening, you'll find that opening up the midtones will do it.

You want to make sure you hold or lock in (do not lighten them) your shadows and highlights so you maintain the picture's definition, its contrast. I use the Curves tool in photoshop mostly. That way, I can take the middle (midtones) and lighten them first, leaving the dark shadows and highlights mostly same as the original, or only slightly lighter. That's the graph that has a diagonal line. You'd take the middle point of that line and give it a little nudge and then see what you have.

You can also use the Levels tool. I go for the midtone there too, the button right in the middle of the histogram and slightly move it to lighten the midtones. That leaves the highlights and shadows the same as they were, just like the curves would do.

Then, you can see if there's a color cast that needs to be adjusted. And then you'd apply color theory to that, using the same tools for whatever color you adjust.

Sometimes I go in with the dodge tool for individual areas, like the eyes or the chin. I usually use a soft edged brush, and bring the percentage down to 60-70%.

After all that I might use the sharpening tool, using Unsharp Mask--seeing as the caps were moving pictures, there's a slightly less definition than a still photograph. You have go easy with sharpening, or you can get overpixelated. It works nicely for avatars, which are so small they need a bit more edge definition. So I punch them up.

One of these days, we'll have a color correction session, Estelle.
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only done color correction successfully for photomicrographs of pathology slides. For the screencaps I've used the sharpen tool (unsharp mask or smart sharpen) and the brightness/contrast adjustment. I use photoshop cs2 which is probably too powerful an instrument for me. However, I want to learn how to use this program better.

Down East wrote:
One of these days, we'll have a color correction session, Estelle.

Now that would be fun. Smile

Estelle
Down East

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That profile picture is still getting to me! It's a most gorgeous pic....

Embarassed Embarassed
Mone

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drool *happy sigh* I just love the stubble.
Begonia8

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy

Oh God! Yes! There's just something about that stubble
that makes him even sexier than ever! Whew! *grins
delightedly*

Catherine Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Miscellaneous photos All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: