The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lots of Nice Town from A to Z(ed)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Screen caps from the 1990s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Lots of Nice Town from A to Z(ed) Reply with quote

First batch:

To be continued...

Estelle
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second batch:

More to come (and, no, I didn't capture every possible frame with Paul--just every other, heehee)

Estelle
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Third batch:

And, in case you're wondering, the Satyr will be along in the last batch of caps. Cool

Estelle
Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic caps, Estelle. I just keep thinking... "how pretty!" And wow that he's taller than that other actor who played his brother Paul. Poor Joe Thompson. I love that role for Paul. Thank you!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Teri

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estelle wrote:
Lots of Nice Town from A to Z(ed)

Smile

Estelle, you've outdone yourself. Very Happy Nice Town has finally gotten the attention it deserves! It's about time--there is so much to this series, and it's so relevant to what was going on in Paul's life at the time--becoming a dad and experiencing that intense parental love for the first time.

You've caught some really key scenes (not much isn't key in this--I can see how you had a hard time stopping *g*)--and thanks for not being afraid to post the boxcar scene, seeing how pertinant it is! (Not to mention the 'Joe busying himself in the bathroom' scene Twisted Evil ...)

'Pretty' is a good word. I wasn't altogether fond of Paul with this look--but I'd forgotten there were a lot of scenes where he looked pretty damned fine with it. I think at the time I was so blown away by the subject matter, I wasn't seeing the 'Paulness' for the Joe (which would please Paul to no end, I'm sure--having gotten lost in his character, as I did), but I'm better now--I have seen the light. Wink

Thanks again for all your time on these, Estelle! Very Happy They're wonderful!
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desdemona wrote:
And wow that he's taller than that other actor who played his brother Paul.

Yeah, he's a little taller than Phil Davis who also appeared with him in Alien 3 and Sleeping Murder. I think Phil's character stuck around longer than Golic did in the Alien movie. I recently saw Davis in Casanova, which also included Niall Buggy (who starred with Paul in The Gigli Concert). When I saw the latter film, I wondered why not McGann.

Quote:
Poor Joe Thompson. I love that role for Paul. Thank you!

Yes, it's a really nice one, just about as good as Percy Toplis. Joe tries to apply engineering principles to real life and really mucks things up all around. But he's so kind and goodhearted.

Estelle
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Jenn and Teri, many thanks for the kudos. I think I'm reinventing the wheel though because Maddy also has lots of beautiful caps from Nice Town, some of which Jenn has posted. However, I recapped the film, because I thought my copy of it looked a little better than the one Maddy had available. I guess my obsessive-compulsive disorder surfaces at the oddest times.

On the other Nice Town thread Maddy wondered if Paul were reading The Grapes of Wrath. I tried to focus on the book title but couldn't get it to come up any sharper than in the cap I have of it. I think he's reading from a Penguin Classic, and the title appears to be Maupassant Selected Short Stories.

Well, in the course of writing this post I decided to google Maupassant and Selected Short Stories and came up with this book on eBay:

I think it matches the one Joe's reading on the plane:

In pathology, this process is called matching the wallpaper. Anyway, I've bought the book which was printed in 1980 and which is coming from a bookseller in Australia.

Quote:
You've caught some really key scenes (not much isn't key in this--I can see how you had a hard time stopping *g*)--and thanks for not being afraid to post the boxcar scene, seeing how pertinant it is! (Not to mention the 'Joe busying himself in the bathroom' scene Twisted Evil ...)

Well, women do breastfeed in public, and that scene seems chaste enough. And in Joe's bathroom scene, the exceedingly long shirt disguises things pretty well. Smile A soundclip would be more poignant.

Nice Town incorporates lots of interesting themes: infertility, infidelity, abortion, parental love, the nature of family, coping with bullies, post-partum depression, and child abuse. I'm afraid in real life Paul and Linda would continue to abuse poor baby Angelica, who would likely die or be seriously injured. Shaking a newborn as vigorously as Paul Thompson was doing causes severe brain injury. But since Nice Town is make believe, we can have a happy ending.

The lady who sent me the Nice Town tapes said it was a favorite of the PMEB. Paul is certainly beautiful in it.

Quote:
I think at the time I was so blown away by the subject matter, I wasn't seeing the 'Paulness' for the Joe (which would please Paul to no end, I'm sure--having gotten lost in his character, as I did), but I'm better now--I have seen the light. Wink

I think he would be very pleased to hear this. Smile

Estelle
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last batch:

Whew! Smile

Estelle
Desdemona

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Shaking a newborn as vigorously as Paul Thompson was doing causes severe brain injury. But since Nice Town is make believe, we can have a happy ending.

That scene right there was the major problem I had with Nice Town. Otherwise, it was good. The role reversal between Joe and his wife was played so subtly yet you couldn't miss it. I mean, just look at that second bathtub scene. Joe's in the position women normally are in. It's a very creative show.

That fight scene always cracked me up. Poor Joe. Fights like a girl, too. *grin*

Again, I say. How pretty. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emay wrote:

He looks a bit like Pierce Brosnan in this picture, I think.

Estelle
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desdemona wrote:
That scene right there was the major problem I had with Nice Town. Otherwise, it was good.

Yes, the abuse scene followed by the lovey-dovey parents bonding with their newborn just doesn't ring true. Someone psychotic enough to swing around a non-threatening, defenseless infant won't have a lasting 180 degree change in attitude. I think the scene would have worked better if Nice Town were a tragedy with Angelica experiencing the awful end her biological father had predicted for her at the hands of his jealous brother (actually his cousin). As a comedy the scene would have played better with Paul Thompson getting exasperated with his wailing child, putting her in her crib, and then whining to himself about the demands of fatherhood or something.

Quote:
The role reversal between Joe and his wife was played so subtly yet you couldn't miss it. I mean, just look at that second bathtub scene. Joe's in the position women normally are in.

That's such a tender scene, and I like it very much. Poor Joe.

Quote:
Fights like a girl, too. *grin*

Hah, Joe Thompson, the girly man, as Arnold would say.

Quote:
Again, I say. How pretty. Smile

Very much so. Smile My husband saw a bit of Nice Town as I was converting my videotape to DVD, and even he said Paul was pretty.

Estelle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Screen caps from the 1990s All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: