The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paul's birthday email to Emily ...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teri

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Paul's birthday email to Emily ... Reply with quote

Grace wrote:
But he did respond once, sort of! Tell that story!! About someone's birthday!! I can't remember who was involved but I love that story!

Grace asked to hear this story again, and even though I was involved in it, I like the way Em tells it better. She somehow managed to dig up her original post about it off the old EZ Board Library for me (thanks Em! Smile ), which I'm glad she did, because it captures the immediacy of how it made her feel shortly after it happened April 3, 2004.

If you check out the time, btw, the time zone is +0000, which is GMT--London time. Paul sent this around 9:18PM, on a Saturday night--what a guy. Smile (Think about it--he could've been in his jammies! Surprised Wink )

In Emily's words...

A Birthday gift gush... I don't normally do this, I'm very private by nature, but this was such a wonderful gift, I have to talk about it.

It came in different parts, this gift. I had come back to the hotel room after a wonderful birthday spent with my husband in DC, taking pictures of our national monuments and of the cherry blossoms. Dinner was at a swanky restaurant in DC paid for by the client as an apology for having to stay the weekend and work on my birthday. (How sweet is that?) I sat down as usual to check my email and there was one from an unknown person that said Happy Birthday!! I normally just delete email that looks like spam and this one fit the bill, but because it said Happy Birthday, I decided to look at it. This is what it said:

Paul McGann wrote:

Subject: Happy Birthday!!
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 21:18:37 +0000

Dear Emily,

wishing you a happy, happy birthday.
Believe me, it just gets better.

Love,
Paul McGann xxx

Yep. I almost fell out of my chair. Then the usual doubts raced across my mind. How did he know that it was my birthday? How did he know I'd been agonizing over it being the 40th? How did he get my email address? Was it really him? If it wasn't him, who would play such a cruel joke on me?

So I emailed Karin who'd received an email from him before to find out if it was the same email address.

Then I forwarded the email on to Teri to ask her what she thought about it.

Teri emailed me back almost immediately. She had emailed him through his agent some time back telling him about the McGann Library and how I'd been anxious about turning 40. She'd asked him to email me a greeting, mentioning that she realized that he may not do it, because then every fangirl would want an emailed birthday greeting. Then two weeks before my birthday, she emailed a reminder. He never responded directly to her, but there, on Saturday night, was my birthday greeting from Paul!

Karin emailed back later saying that it was the same email address and that's how he signed off on his email to her as well. So, I'm pretty convinced that it's from him, and I've decided to believe it. It gives me a thrill to go back and look at it every so often. It brightens my day.

So that was a pretty wonderful gift from Teri. A week later, I finally get home, and what do I find but a huge package from Teri! She had sent me several small gifts from 'the guys'. The guys meaning characters that Paul had played in the past.

What a lovely thing to come home to!! Notes from 'the guys' and gifts that fit the era and their personalities! This was the most apropos gift I had ever received. There was incense from Marwood, so sixties! A bottle of wine from Fish, Kendall Jackson because it sounds like a law firm, with an invite to drink it with him at the NY Plaza. A foot pampering package from Rob (Downtime). Exotic fragranced candles was William's contribution from the exotic places he's been. Irish mint soap from Father Liam, because cleanliness is next to Godliness, you know! And a teapot complete with teacup and tea from Eugene Wrayburn. Sigh!

And I received a CD of Galley pics and actual pictures of me talking to Paul from Estelle, with a card. And cards from Karin and Akka.

All that plus all the birthday greetings online, both text and pictures, has made this one of the best, if not THE best, birthdays I've ever had! Thank you, Teri, from the bottom of my heart. And thank you, everyone, for being so generous of yourselves.

with much love,
Em

*SIGH*
Grace

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!!! I had heard that story before, but hadn't ever read Em's actual account of it! WOW.

And Karin had gotten an email too??? I didn't know THAT! I want to hear that story too.

Thanks for finding that, Teri!!!
Teri

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, Em told it in such a sweet way, didn't she? Smile She actually found the post again and sent it to me, because I had no luck. Confused

Yeah, Karin got a Paul email, too! Very Happy We'll have to get her here to lay it on ya, if she'll be so kind. It was when she went to see Paul in Morning Becomes Electra in London in Jan. '04. It would've been her first time meeting him, but she missed him after the play. Maddy, this time, was her 'guardian angel', and contacted his agent about it while Karin was still in London...

I'll keep you in suspense and let her tell the rest! Twisted Evil It's a great story. I'll see if I can work on her a little for it.

Or maybe if you beg her personally Wink...
Kalymura

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*seconds Grace* Wow, definitely wow!

I'm greener than a Slytherin crest with envy, but so happy for Em, all at the same time. & to think that I was all smiles when I got a response from his LJ persona! *laughs at self*

I guess having a note hand-written would be less easy to ensure that it was definitely from Paul, & - of course - also less convenient for him (nothing like surfing in your jamies!), but - oh - how much do I want a framed "love, Paul McGann xxx" *swoon*

Did you reply to the email, Em?
Teri

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Em surmised it was the conspiratory nature of the 'scheme' that probably tickled Paul into doing it--the element of surprise and all that fun stuff (I'm guessing that's the 'Irishman' in him Wink ). But I also think he genuinely sympathized deeply with her anquish at turning forty (he mentioned it repeatedly in articles, around the time he did)--and I think he was very appreciative to her for getting the Library going, as well, and took the opportunity as a way to let her know that.

Miz Em wrote:
Then two weeks before my birthday, she emailed a reminder.

Just to clarify, I actually reminded him just two days before, on Thursday. What guy do you know would remember to do something like that two weeks later?? Laughing (When I go back and read that second email I sent now, btw, I'm amazed he did this at all--I sound like I'm completely out of my tree. Confused)
Miz Em

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalymura wrote:

Did you reply to the email, Em?

I did, indeed. Thanked him as graciously as I could without drooling all over myself and him... Wink

But as thrilled as I was to receive that email from him, it was the greetings and well wishes from everyone, in general, and the package from Teri, in particular, that made it such a wonderful birthday.

I could never put in words how wonderful I felt, opening those cards and those gifts. I still have the cards, and I still have some of those gifts. And best of all, I still have those friends.

Em
Begonia8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a Birthday! I wish I'd been so lucky when I turned 40-thirteen years ago! Wow! You are one lucky lady!

One thing more-as if that email could be made even more special-didn't I read an email from a PMOBer last autumn that said, Annie had told her that Paul doesn't-ahem-ah-wear "jammies"? Just imagine him sending that email now! Phwoarr!(blushes furiously!)

You are INDEED a very lucky lady!
Teri

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hee!--interesting thought! Very Happy

Sending birthday greetings to fangirls in his birthday suit--I'm certainly grooving on that concept. Wink It could sort of become his 'thing', his calling card, his trademark--it would be immensely popular!

What on earth am I talking about? Laughing
Begonia8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm REALLY blushing furiously! Wink Wink Laughing
Gee, now all we need is a one-way (from our end to his!) email set-up!
What a vision that would be! Wink Wink !!!! !!!!
Begonia8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed I meant a one-way visual set-up. Is there a drool smiley?
Begonia8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

catherine wrote:

I'll go look for one. Smile

Estelle
Begonia8

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Estelle! After all, he IS our drooly-scrumptious Paul!
Reason Enough!
Grace

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emay wrote:
catherine wrote:

I'll go look for one. Smile

Estelle

At first I thought you meant you would go look for a one-way visual set-up! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Laughing
Begonia8

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant both !!!! !!!! Wink Wink Laughing Laughing

That WOULD be DROOLY SCRUMPTIOUS!!!! !!!! Wink Wink
Wink Wink Wink Wink
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Paul Says All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: