The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yakety Yak Program

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desdemona

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Yakety Yak Program Reply with quote

From www.theamazingdarts.com

"Bush put both arms round Hornblower's shoulders and walked with dragging feet... Hornblower was the best man in the world and Bush could announce it by singing 'For He's a Jolly Good Fellow' while lurching along the alleyway. " - Lt. Hornblower
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Grace

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Here are some embiggened pictures! And sorry if they're TOO embiggened, but they have to be big to be legible. Hee, I just LOVE these!

Name: Paul McGann
Birthplace: Liverpool, England
Charge: Grievous bodily harm - to himself
Previous Convictions: Finney in 'Oi for England'
Impressions, Memories of the 50s:
Notes: This man poses the most serious problem of the whole mob. Thought to be the ringleader behind the Kansas City Caper. He is faceless, has no particular likes or hates, suffers from chronic amnesia and is out of harmony with all forms of authority. Highly dangerous - approach with extreme caution.

Name: Mark McGann
Charge: Drunk and disorderly
Previous Convictions: Playing the role of John Lennon in 'LENNON.'
Likes: 30's and 40's swing/jazz, his mum's Sunday roast, James Cagney movies
Hates: Fish, kids from FAME, trainspotting
Impressions, Memories of the 50's: 'Everyone I know who knew the 50's is approaching middle age.'
Notes: Mark has been remanded in custody a number of times. His stated ambition is to father his own football team. His performance shows great potential. However, his habit of hitting the bottle makes it doubtful whether he'll ever achieve his goal. Recommend drying out.

Name: Joe McGann
Charge: Making obscene phone calls in a cheer leader's outfit
Previous Convictions: Lead in "West Side Story"
Hates: Wimp Rock, rabbit food, souped up minis
Impressions, Memories of the 50's: wet nappies
Notes: Joe has had delusions of religious grandeur ever since Liverpool won the European cup. He is frequently heard muttering, 'Paisley walks on water.' A sad case. Less dangerous in recent years since St. John retired.

Name: Steve McGann
Charge: Caught with a forged passport while attempting to flee the country
Previous Convictions: Member of the Liverpool Philharmonic Choir
Likes: 'Egg on toast,' 'Lord of the Rings,' 'Close Encounters' Astronomy
Hates: American A(?) Music, 'Grease,' 'Chariot of the Gods'
Impressions, Memories of the 50's: The Suez Crisis, Elvis and National Service
Notes: Steve's search for 'Mrs. Right' is based on astrological signs. He is on his 8th sign now and seems tired but happy. The youngest McGann, he is still young enough to go straight but unfortunately has fallen under the heady influence of Vlad the Impaler. Suggest immediate therapy.

Telegram from Leiber and Stoller:

To: Rob Walker, The Darts and The McGanns
No one could have been more pleasantly surprised than we at the sights and the sounds going on at the Half Moon theatre on opening night. The high energy and sheer joy of the performances captured the imagination of everyone in the audience, and we in particular experienced "Yakety Yak" as an unexpected and delightful hit.

Many thanks to all of you and best of luck on your move to the Astoria Theatre.
Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller
Grace

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cute cartoons! I assume this is the story of the musical. Hee!

Joe - Absolom ("I'm still training t'be a priest, Danny!")
Mark - Javetts ("Ya still searchin'?" "I'm going with your brother Javetts now..." Mark stole Paul's girl!!)
Paul - Danny ("So I'm back in the good old neighborhood...")(Is he coming back from jail?)
Steve - Bo ("You are one bad stud, Danny!" "Why do fools fall in love?")

And some pics we've probably all seen before:

Paul, Mark, Steve, Joe (oh, I bet they're outside the Half Moon Theatre - see the banners behind? I bet they're half moons! Idea)
Too cute!

Paul, Stephen, Joe

Mark, Steve, Joe, Paul

Desdemona

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Cross posting on the Yakety Yak thread Reply with quote

Annie McGann sent this to me by email recently. It's a scan of a telegram that Paul and his brothers received on opening night of Yakety Yak.

It's from Jerry Lieber and Mike Stoller -- a fantastic American popular music writing duo, who wrote the song, Yakety Yak, and others, like Hound Dog...

It's dated 18 January 1983. How incredibly cool is that!?

A little piece of McGannabilia... Wink

Thank you Annie!!!!!!

Also, if you do want to post this somewhere else (i.e. at Live Journal or PMEB or Utopia... wherever) please let me know so I can tell Annie, and please also mention that it was sent by Annie to me.... Thx.
"Bush put both arms round Hornblower's shoulders and walked with dragging feet... Hornblower was the best man in the world and Bush could announce it by singing 'For He's a Jolly Good Fellow' while lurching along the alleyway. " - Lt. Hornblower
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: A couple more Yakety Tidbits Reply with quote

The flyer/newspaper advertisement

The poster.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: